Consultancy For Medium-term Advisor For The Kenya Deposit
Insurance Corporation (kdic)
THE NATIONAL TREASURY
FINANCIAL SECTOR SUPPORT PROJECT
CONSULTANCY FOR A MEDIUM-TERM ADVISOR FORTHE KENYA DEPOSIT INSURANCE CORPORATION
REQUEST FOREXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Credit No: 5627KE
Project ID No: P151816
1. The Government of Kenya (GoK)has received financing from the World Bank towards the cost of the Financial Sector Support Project (FSSP) whose overalldevelopment objective is to strengthen the legal, regulatory and institutional environment forimproved financial stability, access to and provisionof, affordable and long term financing. It is intended that part of the proceeds of this credit be appliedto eligible payments under the contracts for a Medium-Term Advisor for the Kenya Deposit Insurance Corporation (KDIC) to be implemented over a period of eighteen(18) months.
2. Objective of the Assignment
To provide medium-term advisory services to lead and support the newlyestablishedKenya Deposit Insurance Corporation (KDIC) as a Deposit Insurance andResolution agency.
3. Scope of the Work
The Consultant shall render the following services:
a) Review and refine resource requirementsfor the newly established KDIC and advice on any changes in its existing organization structure;
b) Advise on the policy, regulatory andoperational requirements necessary for successful functioning of the KDIC; and work with local drafting professionals to implementthe proposed policy through the legal framework (if necessary);
c) Enhance technical and other resourcecapacity of the KDIC to facilitate effective managementof deposit insurance; supervision; review of surveillance risk managementreports of commercial banks / financial institutions; conduct successful resolution of problem / failed financialinstitutions;
d) Review the existing structures, systemsand approaches of Deposit Insurance such as operations manuals, regulations, guidelines and procedures manuals for the KDIC andmake revisions (as necessary) / draft new implementation framework / manuals to guide effective regulation;
e) Establishment of KDIC as a SpecialSupervisor of the Banking Sector; developing a framework for supervision of financial institutions through audit and inspections;audit standards on design of suitable Management Information System(MIS); periodic returns for submission by intermediaries andtheir analysis;
f) Developing and introducing a suitablemodel for Differential Premium Assessment; Optimal Target Fund and Reporting Framework on Adequacy of Coverage;
g) Assessing effectiveness of technology(ICT) for deposit insurance and resolution and making recommendations to KDIC management;
h) Undertake other tasks as requested whichserve the objectives of the KDIC in general and foster the objective of the development of the institution as a centreofexcellence
4. The National Treasury (theClient) through its Project Implementation Unit (PIU) now invites eligible individual consultants toexpress their interest in providing the services. Interested Consultants should provide informationdemonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the services. Consultants should provide their most recent profiles showing theirexperience, qualifications, capabilities, references and details of past experience especially in the area of their expertise etc.The Consultant should have gained experience from working in a technical capacity for a financial sector regulator, multilateralagency and involved in advising on deposit insurance reforms and resolution, conducting similar assignment for a Deposit Insurer(DI) for at least one developing country during the past five years and Production ofpolicy frameworks and draft legislation forDIs in accordance with IADI core principles.The shortlisting criteriaare; (a) Undergraduate qualification in finance, commerce, economics, law, insurance or arelated discipline; (b) At least ten (10) years with a financial sector regulator, multilateralagency, Deposit Insurance Scheme; involvedin financial sector reform; (c) At least five (5) years of experience inimplementing and/or conducting policy advice on Deposit Insurance and Resolution; (d) Strong familiarity withcurrent developments in regulatory and risk management issues especially with respect to Deposit Insurance, IADI Core Principlesfor Effective Deposit Insurance Systems, exposure to training courses, seminars and conferences on deposit insurance;(e) Experience in developing policy and drafting regulations for financial sectorplayers; and (f) Experience in emerging market jurisdictions that have Deposit Insurance Schemes
5. The expression of interest is also open to interested firms who may wish to propose individualconsultants. In such cases, only the experience and qualifications of the individuals proposed shallbe taken into account in theselection process and not the firm's corporate experience. Consequently, the ensuing contract agreement will be signed directlywith the successful individual.
6. The attention of interested Consultants is drawn toparagraph 1.9 of the World Bank's Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants [under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants] by World Bank Borrowerspublished in January 2011and revised inJuly 2014 ("Consultant Guidelines"),setting forth the World Bank's policy on conflict of interest.
7. Interested eligible individuals may obtain further information at the addressgiven below during office hours between0900 to 1700 hours, Monday? Friday inclusive, exclusive of public holidays, before the deadline for the submission of Expressions of Interest.
8. A Consultant will be selected inaccordance with Selection of Individual Consultant method set out in the Consultants Guidelines.
9. Complete Expressions of Interest documents tobe submitted in plain sealed envelopes with consultancy reference and name clearly marked on top should be delivered in person,sent by mail or by email to the address shown below or placed in the tender box at our offices on the 7th floor,Anniversary Towers, North Tower
Project Implementation Unit
P.O Box 21190?00100
Project Implementation Unit
Attention: Procurement Specialist
7th Floor, Anniversary Towers, North Tower.
Building No.19 Monrovia Street/University Way
Telephone No: +254-20-2210271/4
10. Deadlinefor submission of Expressions of Interest is Monday 29th August 2016 at 1600 hours Kenyan localtime.
FOR: PRINCIPAL SECRETARY