Consultant Services: Industrial Land and Real Estate
Millennium Challenge Corporation, MCC | Published October 23, 2014 - Deadline November 24, 2014
CONSULTANT SERVICES: INDUSTRIAL LAND AND REAL ESTATE
1. This is a combined synopsis/solicitation for commercial items prepared in accordance with the format in Subpart 12.6, as supplemented with additional information included in this notice. This announcement constitutes the only solicitation; quotes are being requested and a written solicitation will not be issued. The solicitation number is MCC-15-RFQ-0001 and is issued as a Request for Quotations (RFQ). This solicitation document incorporates all mandatory commercial item provisions and clauses that are in effect through Federal Acquisition Circular (FAC) 2005-76, Effective August 25, 2014.
2. The North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) code is 541611 and the small business size standard is $14.0 million.
3. FAR Clauses 52.212-1 through 52.212-5 apply to this procurement. The exact text and wording of clauses and provisions may be obtained from the Internet at http://acquisition.gov/far/index.html. The Government contemplates the award of a Time and Materials Order resulting from this solicitation. NOTE: An Addendum to FAR clause 52.212-4 Contract Terms and Conditions-Commercial Items, (Alt I) is attached.
4. The Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) is a U.S. Government corporation whose mission is to provide assistance that will support economic growth and poverty reduction in carefully selected countries that demonstrate a commitment to just and democratic governance economic freedom, and investments in their citizenry. For more information on the MCC, please visit www.mcc.gov.
5. THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS FOR AN INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT AND IS NOT FOR INDIVIDUALS SEEKING EMPLOYMENT DIRECT WITH MCC. PLEASE VISIT: http://www.irs.gov/business/small/index.html FOR INFORMATION REGARDING INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS. Note: MCC will assist the consultant in coordinating with an Independent Contractor Engagement Services Provider for payroll, travel, international travel insurance, etc., therefore, a DUNS number and registration in System for Award Management (SAMS) is not required.
6. Description of Services:
This consultancy covers a range of services that are required to support MCC in Compact Development and potentially, Compact implementation. MCC requires a consultant to provide expert skills to MCC for the development and due diligence of an industrial land component as part of Morocco's anticipated proposal of a land project as part of the second MCC Compact. The consultant shall serve as a technical advisor to MCC providing project/activity assessment and design advice and due diligence on aspects of the GOM's emerging proposal for the land sector. The consultant will not be serving as a technical advisor to the GOM.
An industrial land component of the second Compact is expected to include technical assistance and pilot-testing to help Morocco develop and mainstream improved approaches to mobilizing, developing, and allocating industrial land. This is expected to strengthen the productivity of industrial land and the performance of the industrial share of Morocco's economy.
Topics to be targeted in an eventual project include: legal and regulatory texts governing industrial land development; tax incentives and subsidy mechanisms related to industrial land development, ownership, and use; different tenure regimes for industrial land (sales, leasing, etc); roles, responsibilities and performance of State institutions related to allocation, mobilization, or management of industrial land; the enabling environment for private investors and private real estate developers to participate in the mobilization and development of industrial land; and mechanisms for understanding and projecting demand for industrial land by different types of firms; mechanisms for management of industrial land areas and financing and management of shared services; and assessment of viability of existing zones and identification of mechanisms to revitalize or convert to other uses.
Services under this consultancy provide MCC with support in i) identifying feasible, detailed activity components to respond - systemically, and over the long term - to root causes of the industrial land problems being targeted by a Compact project or activities; ii) helping MCC provide best-practice guidance to the GOM in designing the specific components of land-related activities proposed; iii) helping MCC work with the GOM to conduct private sector engagement and identify potential PPP solutions; iv) identifying data/information needs which should be pursued by the GOM during the Compact development process to aid in formulation of appropriate ERR models for an MCC project; v) reviewing and advising MCC on program design documents; and potentially, vi), providing support in implementation oversight.
The consultant shall support MCC by conducting technical review and analysis of land-related projects/activities in Morocco, and potentially in other MCC eligible countries. This includes the evaluation of proposed projects and making recommendations regarding strategies to ensure relevant and well-designed activities to address the land-related binding constraints to growth in Morocco or other eligible MCC countries.
Work under this call order is assigned by technical directives, issued by MCC. Work is expected to begin on or about mid-November 2014. The consultant's Tasks include the following:
Complete project appraisal to determine whether the proposed project/activities/tasks are appropriate and will have the intended effects.
Recommend solutions to respond to the problems and problem root causes already identified, based on Consultant expertise and knowledge of best practices feasible in Morocco/MENA region and globally- legal, regulatory, financial, or other mechanisms with which other countries with problems similar to Morocco's have responded.
Provide specific design recommendations for proposed activities to maximize feasibility, consistency with sector best practice, economic benefits, and sustainability - pros and cons as appropriate.
Evaluate relevant laws, regulations, and other relevant texts, identify legal framework implications for project design or project feasibility.
Assess institutional allocation of responsibilities related to industrial land administration, among national institutions and between national and local institutions.
Conduct In-depth institutional capacity analysis of proposed implementing partners.
Conduct in-depth analysis of the dimensions of demand by firms for industrial land.
Conduct in-depth analysis of the drivers of private sector participation in industrial land development.
Analyze current usage, effectiveness, or feasibility of selected land administration tools on matters such as:
-Technology for cadaster and registry system improvements
-Demand for land administration systems and land information improvements for specific categories of users
-Land use and spatial planning tools
Identify key risks and assumptions, and recommended mitigants if risks were borne out or assumptions do not hold.
Analyze sustainability risks with the proposed project and propose mitigation strategies.
Generate or review detailed estimated project budget in MS Excel.
Generate summaries of potential environmental, social, gender performance impacts and opportunities.
Generate illustrative activity implementation sequencing and results achievement timeline over a five year Compact.
Advise MCC on critical decision points and concerns related to project design, costing of program, and program governance.
Develop documents on other key topics in order to address project readiness at time of MCC's investment review.
Participate in periodic teleconferences with MCC, as required.
Other tasks as specified in technical directives.
7. This combined synopsis and solicitation notice is a request for competitive quotations. Therefore, all quotations received prior to the RFQ close date will be considered.
8. The Government will award an order to the responsible independent consultant(s) whose quote conforming to this notice represents the best value in terms of technical criteria, past performance and price. All non-price factors (technical criteria and past performance) are more important than price.
9. Evaluation Factors: Only quotes which meet the required technical evaluation criteria will be considered.
TECHNICAL EVALUATION CRITERIA
Evaluation will be conducted based on the following Mandatory Requirements, Other Expected Qualifications, and Desired Qualifications. Offerors need to assure that their CVs and cover letter address the requirements. Offerors not meeting the Mandatory Requirements as evidenced from CV and cover letter, and verified through reference checks conducted by MCC, will not be considered.
1) Education - University degree in a field relevant to the development and management of industrial land or industrial zones. This may include fields such as law, business, finance, economics, planning, or another related field (Mandatory).
2) General experience - At least 15 years documented experience working on matters of industrial or commercial real estate development or planning in developing or advanced developing countries (Mandatory).
3) Region of experience - Evidence of work related to industrial land in countries in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region (Mandatory).
4) Evidence of experience analyzing legal and regulatory texts governing industrial land development; analyzing tax incentives and subsidy mechanisms for industrial land development; analyzing different tenure regimes (sales, leasing, etc); analyzing the financial viability of industrial zone development including the financing arrangements; analyzing or participating in the structuring of real estate development projects; and analyzing mechanisms for management of industrial land areas and management of shared services. Evidence of experience in then providing actionable recommendations regarding reforms to governments, donor agencies, or private sector real estate developers or investors (Mandatory).
5) Type of experience - Evidence of experience analyzing roles, responsibilities and performance of State institutions in relation to allocation, mobilization, or management of
industrial land. Evidence of experience providing actionable recommendations to governments or donor agencies (Mandatory).
6) Evidence of experience analyzing the enabling environment for private investors and private real estate developers to participate in the mobilization and development of industrial land (Mandatory).
7) Evidence of ability to analyze demand by firms for industrial land in a country, region or sector (Mandatory).
8) Language and communications - Evidence of ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English and in French (Mandatory).
9) Language and communications - Evidence of ability to brief high-level U.S. and foreign government officials on technical matters in a succinct manner (Mandatory).
10) Evidence of skills in performing project analysis and appraisal, with an ability to identify the essential risks and issues (including environmental and social) of concern to a funding entity or investor.
11) Ability to identify project implementation risks and appropriate mitigation measures.
12) Excellent oral and written communication skills.
13) Ability to work as part of multi-disciplinary project teams.
14) Experience working in Morocco is desired.
15) Additional ability to advise on matters related to mechanisms for financing basic urban service infrastructure- such as for municipalities is desired.
16) Knowledge of Arabic or Moroccan Arabic is desired.
Consultants shall be prepared to work as part of multi-disciplinary project teams. Consultants shall possess the ability to brief high level U.S. and foreign government officials on critical technical matters.
MCC seeks consultants with senior-level experience doing similar work in the private sector, or working with a development organization such as the World Bank Group, international NGO, or other international development agency. Familiarity with MCC's development model is also desirable.
Three (3) professional references for relevant work performed during the past three years.
The Government will examine the proposed rates for reasonableness.
10. Evaluation Methodology: The Government will perform a comparative analysis of quotes and will assess the advantages and disadvantages of each quote as related to the Evaluation Factors. Multiple awards may be made from this notice and all quotes will be retained and may be utilized for requirements for a period of 6 months.
11. Quote Deadline: Independent Consultants are invited to submit their quotations in response to this notice by 2:00 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST), November 24, 2014. Only e-mailed requests for additional information will be accepted at email@example.com by 12:00 pm eastern standard time on November 10, 2014. Quotations submitted in response to this notice shall include the solicitation number AND description in the subject line and be signed, dated and submitted via email to MCCConsultants@mcc.gov. The maximum file size is 10mb.
12. Quote Submission: The Individual Consultant shall submit the following documents:
Technical: (1) Cover letter that addresses all technical criteria as listed in this solicitation (5 pages maximum); (2) Curriculum Vitae (15 page maximum);
Past Performance: Three professional references;
Price: Bio-Data Form which includes the independent consultant's proposed rate and salary history. See Attachment.
13. FAR 52.212.3, Offeror Representations and Certifications - Commercial Items shall be required from the selected consultant, prior to the time of award.
14. There are no additional contract requirements(s) necessary for this acquisition.
15. See attached documents entitled: (1) Addendum to FAR Clause 52.212-4, (Alt I); (2) MCC Bio-Data Form and (3) Statement of Work.