Local Governance Programme (LGP) Goal: The LGP supports Kosovo in its transition process towards a democratic, decentralised state in which municipalities exercise socially inclusive governance & provide effective services.
Swiss Cooperation Office Kosovo | Published August 15, 2013 - Deadline September 24, 2013
Part 1 (Inception Phase): Preparation of the Programme and elaboration of a Programme Document:
- Initiate a participatory project development process in order to develop ownership among key stakeholders and elaborate the details of the Programme, in close collaboration with SDC.
- Elaboration of a detailed hierarchy of objectives, theory of change, action lines and related strategies for the Programme.
- Reflect on how to take the gender gap in municipal management into account.
- Selection of geographical working area including conclusion of preliminary agreements with selected municipalities.
- Definition of support packages for municipalities and basic good governance and public finance management criteria as a condition for municipal budget support (related to component 1).
- Launch process with municipalities and AKM on initially identifying issues, which may need to be addressed in the legal framework governing central state - sub-national state relations supported by targeted expertise. Engagement with central state ministries to explore their responsiveness to the respective thematic support offer (related to component 3).
- Elaboration of detailed strategy, activities and possibly concrete Terms of Reference related to exploring the feasibility of developing a municipal training system.
- Define and operationalise the Programme set-up, organisation and management, in close collaboration with SDC.
- Develop a monitoring system, including the establishment of a baseline in regard to outcome and impact indicators agreed upon with SDC. The basis for conducting a cost benefit analysis should also be established.
- Identify important synergies between the Programme and other relevant SDC interventions in Kosovo and devise plans to maximise results.
- Close and continuous cooperation and discussion with SDC Head Office, SCO Kosovo and the relevant local stakeholders.
- On the basis of the above, elaboration of a Programme Document. This document has to be presented to SDC at the end of the third month of the inception phase. SDC reserves the right to ask for amendments to the presented Programme Document.
Part 2 (Implementation Phase): Implementation of the Programme:
- Overall management and coordination of the Programme implementation according to the Programme Document and approved SDC Credit Proposal. The Programme management should strive to fulfil a facilitating role, in order to avoid creating parallel implementing structures, which are less sustainable;
- Management of Programme staff and consultants.
- Conceptualisation, organisation and quality assurance of capacity development for municipalities.
- Management of grants related to the provision of municipal budget support.
- Provision of technical assistance to municipalities and ministries.
- Overall Programme fund management.
- Operational and financial planning.
- Monitoring of the planned activities, outputs, outcomes and impact.
- Operational and financial reporting.
- Exchange and coordination with SDC and its relevant partners in Kosovo and beyond.
Profile of the Bidding Organisation
SDC will assign the mandate for the implementation and coordination of the Programme to an international or Kosovar organisation (or consortium) with consolidated working experience in the field of decentralisation and municipal governance ideally in the region of the Western Balkans. The organisation shall have proven management capacity related to complex, large, multi-tier and multi-actor programmes and prior experience in directly working with central state and sub-national public actors, as well as with large-scale and sustainable capacity building programmes.