Mahaweli Water Security Investment Program - Tranche 2
| Published March 29, 2017 - Deadline May 31, 2017
Invitation for Bids
1. The Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka has applied for financing from the Asian
Development Bank (ADB) toward the cost of Mahaweli Water Security Investment Program
(MWSIP) – Tranche 2. Part of this financing will be used for payments under the Contract
named above. No nationality restrictions apply, other than any restrictions arising from ITB 4.7.
2. The Ministry of Mahaweli Development and Environment (MMDE), represented by
Program Management Unit (PMU) of MWSIP (“the Employer”), invites sealed bids from eligible
bidders for the Construction of Upper Elahera Canal, Kaluganga–Moragahakanda Transfer
Canal/Tunnel (KMTC) 0+000 km to 8+830 km ("the Works”) comprising of two tunnels with
total length of 8 km with open canal, aqueducts and associated structures.
3. International Competitive Bidding (ICB) will be conducted in accordance with ADB’s
Single-Stage: Two-Envelope bidding procedure.
4. Only eligible Bidders with the following key qualifications are invited to participate in this
• The Bidder shall have minimum average annual construction turnover of US$ 28.5
million calculated as total certified payments received for contracts in progress or
completed, within the immediate last three (3) years.
• The Bidder shall have participated in at least two (2) contracts, within the immediate last
eight (8) years that has been successfully or substantially completed and that is similar
to the proposed works, where the value of Bidder’s participation exceeds US$ 32 million.
The similarity of the Bidder’s participation shall be based on the physical size and nature
of the works, the type and complexity of construction methods, the construction
technology required or other characteristics of the Works as described in Section 6
(Employer’s Requirements) of the Bidding Document.
• The Bidder must demonstrate access to, or availability of, liquid assets, lines of credit or
other financial resources, (other than any contractual advance payments) to meet the
Bidder’s financial resources requirement indicated in Form FIN-4.
Date: 29 March 2017
47381-SRI: Mahaweli Water Security Investment Program - Tranche 2
Construction of Upper Elahera Canal, Kaluganga–Moragahakanda Transfer
Canal/Tunnel (KMTC) 0+000 km to 8+830 km
31 May 2017, 3:00 P.M. (local time)
For complete eligibility and qualification requirements, Bidders should refer to the
5. Interested Bidders may obtain further information from the Office of the Program Director
at the address provided below. The Bidding Document may be inspected free of charge at this
address on all working days from 9:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M.
6. A complete set of the bidding documents in English language may be purchased by
interested bidders from 27 March 2017 up to 31 May 2017 from 9:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. on all
working days, upon submission of a written request on the Bidder’s business letterhead
(Original) to the Program Director, at the address provided below, and upon payment of a non-
refundable fee of SLRs 150,000 or US$ 988 by Bank or Demand Draft in favor of “Secretary,
Ministry of Mahaweli Development and Environment”. The bidding document may also be sent
through courier services upon request. An additional amount of SLRs 5,000 (domestic delivery)
or SLRs 10,000 or US$ 66 (overseas delivery) is payable, but under no circumstances will the
Program Director be held responsible for late delivery or loss of documents sent out.
7. A pre-bid meeting with the Bidders will be held at the Office of Program Director, on 24
April 2017 at 10:30 A.M. at the address provided below. Bidders’ representatives are invited and
encouraged to attend the meeting. Interested Bidders can also visit the site on 20 and 21 April
2017 at 10:00 A.M. subject to prior notification to the Employer.
8. Deliver Bids:
• to the address below
• at or before 3:00 P.M. on 31 May 2017 (local time)
• All bids must be accompanied by a Bid Security. Please refer to ITB 19.1 of the Bid Data
Sheet for details.
The Technical Bids will be opened immediately after the bid submission deadline in the
presence of the Bidder's representatives who choose to attend.
9. The address referred to above is:
Program Management Unit (PMU),
Mahaweli Water Security Investment Program (MWSIP),
No. 493 1/1, T.B.Jayah Mawatha,
Colombo 10, Sri Lanka.
Tel. No.: +94 11 2675810
Fax No.: +94 11 2675227
E-mail address: email@example.com