The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the "EBRD" or the "Bank") has provided a loan to the National Authority for Tunnels "NAT" or the "Client") to assist with the financing of the acquisition of 13 trainsets (the "Project").
The Project will allow NAT to secure financing required to address Cairo’s urgent infrastructure needs, improve the metro’s level of services and safety and contribute to decreasing the carbon emission profile of the sector. Designed to include gender and inclusion elements, it will create a more amenable mobility environment where the accessibility of women to jobs and services can be greatly improved and on-site training opportunities for unemployed young people expanded.
In addition, the investment will promote greater sustainability and efficiency of the metro services as well as increased private sector participation in urban transport sector through outsourcing of the maintenance contract to the private sector, introduction of the price per kilometre payments.
The Project will foster the reduction of high traffic congestion, air and noise pollution in the City of Cairo, thus enabling the provision of safe, reliable and environment friendly transportation for some 100 million annual passenger trips.
The Project has been categorised B by EBRD and environmental and social due diligence (“ESDD”) was carried out by independent consultants during project appraisal. An Environmental and Social Action Plan ("ESAP") and Stakeholder Engagement Plan ("SEP") were developed based on the findings of the ESDD. The ESDD showed that the project is not associated with significant risks and that ECM is currently in partial compliance with the Bank’s PRs. The implementation of the ESAP and SEP will allow ECM to achieve full compliance with the Bank’s Performance Requirements.
Key corrective and improvement measures in the Environmental and Social Action Plan include among others:
• Appointment of an Environment Manager and review of roles and responsibilities to monitor and report on the EHSS performance of ECM operations management systems.
• Development and implementation of an environmental management system and health and safety management system (in line with ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 or equivalent).
• Development and communication of HR policies with staff and contractors.
• As part of the tender / bidding documents, incorporating environmental and social policies to be enforced during construction work as part of the contractors’ obligations towards ECM and subsequently ECM to monitor their proper implementation.
• Development and implementation of both external and internal grievance mechanism as part of the Stakeholder Engagement Plan.
• Identification of contaminated land and subsequently implementing relevant remediation measures.
In order to meet the Bank’s Environmental and Social Policy, the support of experts (the "Consultant") is sought to assist the Egyptian Company for Metro Management and Operation ("ECM" or "Company"), the operator of Cairo's metro system, with developing and improving Environmental, Health and Safety performance within its operations to meet the Banks Environmental and Social Policy. The specific aims are to assist the Company with meeting the ESAP requirement which will form part of the loan agreement.
The Consultant will be appointed to assist ECM with implementing the requirements of the project agreed ESAP. For more information on the detailed scope of works please review Annex 1 - Environmental and Social Action Plan in the TOR and ESAP - LINK.
Status of the Selection Process: Interested firms or group of firms are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest.
Assignment Start Date and Duration: The Assignment is expected to start in Q2 2016 and has an estimated overall duration of 12 months. Subject to availability of funding, the performance of the selected Consultant and the specific needs of the Client, the Assignment may be extended beyond the current scope.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment: EUR 300,000 (exclusive of VAT).
The Consultant must determine whether any indirect taxes/VAT are chargeable on the proposed services and state the basis for such. If any indirect taxes/VAT are payable, the Client will have to pay indirect taxes/VAT element to the services directly to the Consultant unless otherwise agreed.
Funding Source: EBRD Shareholder Special Fund.
Eligibility: There are no eligibility restrictions.
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required. The Consultants will ensure that appropriately qualified Environmental, Health, Social and Safety ("EHSS") experts are available, as required, for each of the different tasks outlined within Section 3. The Consultants should also be able to demonstrate familiarity with the railway sector, EBRD and IFC requirements and experience in Egypt or other Middle Eastern Countries.
It is expected that the assignment will be led by an appropriately qualified Project Manager/Team Leader with a variety of international experience, accompanied by both key and supporting experts, to ensure the overall quality of the deliverables.
The Consultant’s team is expected to include experts covering two or more of the following disciplines, however this to be defined in detail for the specific assignment:
• Audit and inspection;
• Development and implementation of Management Systems;
• Development and delivery of training packages;
• Coaching and Mentoring; and
• Influencing Skills.
Submission Requirements: In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants seeking to be selected, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Company/group of firms' profile, organisation and staffing (maximum 2-4 pages).
2. Details of previous project experience or similar assignments particularly undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration) , main activities, objectives.
3. CVs of key experts who could carry out the Assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives.
4. Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
The expression of interest shall not exceed 25 pages (excluding CVs Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet).
The complete expression of interest (including CVs, Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet) should be submitted, in English via email (pdf) to the Client’s contact person, to reach the Client not later than the closing date and time stated above. One additional copy shall reach the Bank’s contact person by the same due date. The expression of interest shall be one file (pdf). The Client reserves the right to reject applications of firms submitting more than one file. Only if any limitation on the permissible file size is exceeded, the Consultant may split the expression of interest into further files.
Client Contact Person:
EBRD Contact Person:
Tel: +44 20 7338 6338
1. Following this invitation for expressions of interest, a shortlist of qualified firms will be formally invited to submit proposals. Consultant selection and contracting will be subject to availability of funding.
2. The shortlist criteria are as follows:
(a) Firm’s previous project experience in delivering Environmental, Health & Safety and Social Capacity Building assignments in the public transport sector (30%)
(b) Firm’s previous project experience in the Southern and Eastern Mediterranean region working with the public sector (30%)
(c) CVs of Key Experts (40%)
3. This procurement notice is published with the expectation that in parallel with the following procurement opportunities in relation to EBRD investment in Cairo Metro will be published shortly:
• TCS ID 49562 Scoping Study, Sustainable Urban Transport for the Ministry of Transport of Egypt
• TCS ID 49555 Institutional Strengthening for Greater Cairo Transport Authority
• TCS ID 49566 Financial and Operational Performance Improvement and Corporate Development Programme for Egyptian Company for Metro Management and Operations
Interested Consultants may apply for all four assignments but can be awarded only one contract.