AF: ARTF-Public Fin. Mgmt. Reform II - P120427
National Procurement Authority (NPA) | Published October 18, 2016 - Deadline October 31, 2016
Legal Procurement Consultant With International Experience
Government of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
Public Financial Management for Results Project (PFMR) II
For National Procurement Authority under
Administrative Office of the President
Position Title: Legal ProcurementConsultant with International Experience
Directorate: National Procurement Authority(NPA)
Duty station: Kabul, Afghanistan
Supervisor: Director of Legal and Procurement Dispute Resolution
Duration: Six (6) months with possibility of extension
Number of Positions: One (1)
Vacancy Ref. No. NPA/AF/C-147
Deadline for Application: October31,2016
After several decades of wars and civil strife, building an effective state - one that can provide securityand services to the people - has been at the heart of the reconstruction effort in Afghanistan. The government has made significantprogress in many areas such as primary education, basic health services, irrigation, rehabilitation, and rural development. In spite of the Government's best efforts to improve the servicedelivery in priority sectors like health, education and infrastructure, corruption remains a major obstacle in effectivegovernanceand thus efficient service delivery to the people of Afghanistan. The Government has taken many steps to ensure that corruption isdealt with a firm hand and is contained in the medium term and completely eradicated in the long term. One of the main areas ofcorruption is public procurement.
As part of the ongoing procurement system reforms by the National Unity Government, National ProcurementAuthority (NPA) hasbeen established to act as the apex procurement organization, to formulate policies related to publicprocurement and to regulate the public procurement function in the entire nation. The NPA is consolidating these functions of intoa single central organization to oversee and facilitate all national procurement (goods, works and services) above acertainthreshold and which are vital to economic development of Afghanistan. In addition, NPA is looking after the policies andproceduresto strengthen the procurement system and start e-procurement in Afghanistan, to bring about a completely transparentpublic procurement system. Other objectives of this NPA are to enhance budget execution, ensuring efficiency in public procurementsystem, recruitment of professional and honest procurement civil servants at different levels and various capacities to carry outprocurement function.
In order to satisfactorily meet its procurement related legal obligations, the NPA requires highlyexperienced and competentinternational legal and procurement expert, to develop legal framework for efficient, accountable and costsaving procurement.
The consultant will work under the overall guidance and supervision of Director, Procurement Policy, andNPA and will be responsible to develop legal framework for efficient, accountable and cost saving procurement. Specificresponsibilities and duties include butnot limited to;
· Review current procurement legal framework and examine its compatibility with existing procurement, financial and otherrules and regulations of GoA having impact on procurement function. Develop guidance and operational manuals for environmentalconsideration, SMEs development, dispute resolution, debarment of bidders and contractors/suppliers, appeal review and handlingmechanism and any other policies and manuals required by the Procurement Law and Regulations andGoIRA.
· Develop ProcurementOperational Manual for Goods, Works and Services.
· Review the current developed standard bidding documents and provide recommendations and suggestions for the enhancement ofthe documents.
· Develop Policies and operational manual for domestic preference Develop the capacity of the staff in the area of developingprocurement SBDs.
· Coordinate with theWorld Bank's procurement team to suitably make the National Bidding Documents compliant for use in thenew World Bank funded projects in accordance with para 5-3-5.6 of The World Bank Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers, July 1,2016.
· Develop operationalmanual and mechanism for review of the procurement documents
· Develop operationalmanual and mechanism for certification assessment
· Help and support relevant directorate in reviewing cases and contracts referred by PEs and detect legal flaws onthem.
· Provide legal advice to the procurement enquiries.
· Work closely with the national counterparts to train and develop capacity in legal aspects of procurement, disputeresolution mechanisms and other related fields.
· Provide monthly reports to Procurement PolicyDirector on the performance carried out against theassigned tasks & responsibilities
Minimum MasterDegree in law, Procurement, Supply Chain Management or other relevant fields from an accredited and recognised university.
· Minimum overall experience of 10 years, of whichat least 5 years of progressively responsible work experience in legalaspects of public procurement
· Experience with projects funded by MultilateralDevelopment Banks (MDBs) is preferable.
· Knowledge of Government procurement rules and/orother internationally accepted procurement procedures is an advantage.
· Candidates with work experience in multiplecountries will be strongly preferred.
1. Knowledge of developing Public Procurement Law and procurementrules.
2. Be able to uphold and respect procurement ethics and toconduct activities with integrity.
3. Be a team player who demonstrates patience, flexibilityand honesty.
4. Be a self-starter, who is able to planand managehis/herown work, takes initiatives and strives to meet deadlines.
5. Be able to work in a multi-culturalenvironment.
6. Preferably has working knowledge in environment ofAfghanistan and/orSouth Asia region.
7. Excellent working knowledge of English,
8. Fluency in MS Office application (Word, Excel), use ofemails and internet.
The National Procurement Authority (NPA) invites qualified individual consultants to express their interestin providing the abovementioned services. Interested candidates must provide information indicating that they are qualified andexperienced to provide the above mentioned services (in addition to the educational qualifications, experience in similarassignments and country of work etc. should be incorporated in the CV, which is to be submitted along with the expressionofinterest).
Organization Name: National Procurement Authority (NPA) Administrative Office of thePresident (AOP)
Organization Address: Pashtoonistan WattPD#3 KabulAfghanistan
Email Address EOI to be sent: firstname.lastname@example.org
Responsible Person: Habibullah Azmat
Job Title of responsible person: Senior Human ResourcesSpecialist
Mob #: +93 (0) 780 290 293