EOI - Ethiopia - Design, Manufacture, Supply, Transportation, Installation and Commissioning of up to Four Sets of Geothermal Single Flow Back Pressure Units - Corbetti Geothermal Power Project - AREF - 02 2015
| Published February 10, 2015
SPN – Corbetti Geothermal Power Project
Page 1 of 2
SPECIFIC PROCUREMENT NOTICE
Africa Renewable Energy Fund
Corbetti Geothermal Power Project, Ethiopia
1. Berkeley Energy (http://www.berkeley-energy.com) is a renewable energy investment manager that
invests in Asian and African emerging markets. Berkeley Energy currently manages the Africa Renewable
Energy Fund (AREF). AREF is a USD $200m fund (final close in Q1 2015) cornerstoned by the African
Development Bank (AfDB) to invest into development stage renewable energy projects in Sub-Saharan
African markets, excluding South Africa. A General Procurement Notice for AREF was published on 30th
2. AREF has invested a majority stake into Corbetti Geothermal Plc (CGP), together with the other
shareholders, Iceland Drilling and Reykjavik Geothermal. CGP is initially developing a 20MW geothermal
power plant using backpressure turbine technology. The required permits are in place including an
approved ESIA, and civil works (access roads and well pads) have been designed and procured, with
construction due to commence in March 2015. CGP has a team based in Addis which includes a project
director, deputy director and construction manager.
3. Drilling contractor mobilisation is expected to start in March 2015, with the mobilisation of two rigs to drill an
initial 5 wells, one rig will drill down to 300m and the other to drill to around 2,500m. The drilling has been
planned following the conclusion of several years of detailed surveys and extensive surface studies.
4. This Specific Procurement Notice (SPN) is in relation to services to be provided under the EPC package
(FIDIC “Silver” Book Form of Contract) for power generation of the first phase, which includes the provision
of the complete design, manufacture, supply, transportation, installation and commissioning of up to four
(4) sets of geothermal single flow back pressure units including mist separators, civil works and all other
associated works and spare parts, which will be detailed in the Tender Documents Specifications,
Drawings and Employers Requirements.
5. The first stage of Corbetti is expected to consist of four mobile (4) back pressure units with a planned net
output of up to 20 MW, located on two to three well pads.
6. The second stage, not part of this SPN, will consist of a 50 MW condensing unit. It is the intention of CGP
to build out subsequent phases of 50MW (or larger) condensing unit plants, subject to confirmation of the
resource estimate through drilling which, based on the existing surface studies, is estimated to be at least
7. The Site is located in the Southern Lake district in Ethiopia (Oromia region), approximately 250 km south of
the capital Addis Ababa. The elevation inside the Corbetti caldera is between 1,750 to 2,100 meters above
8. AREF, on behalf of CGP, invites suitably experienced Contracting Firms to indicate their interest in
providing the above services and being invited to tender, and to be included on the electronic issue of the
Tender Documents when they are made available. The tender is intended to be run as a restricted tender
and, where reasonably practicable, in accordance with the European Investment Bank Procurement
9. Interested eligible Contracting Firms, or associations of up to two Contracting Firms, are requested to
provide tender specific information, in the form of a company-headed letter on no more than five A4 pages,
SPN – Corbetti Geothermal Power Project
Page 2 of 2
outlining their qualifications and experience demonstrating their ability to provide the above services
(information to be provided should include; references for similar projects delivered, summary experience
in delivering comparable sized geothermal power projects, summary of qualified staff, a list of projects
completed in the last 3 years and general company financial information). This should be submitted by
email in pdf form to the address below.
10. Please note that interest expressed by a Contracting Firm does not imply any obligation on the part of
AREF to include it in the shortlist, or to continue with the tender as outlined within this SPN. A non-
response indicates that your Expression of Interest has not been successful.
11. The tender stage of procurement is expected to commence in March 2015, with a 10 week tender period
which will be concluded in May 2015. The successful bidder will be notified July 2015 and the expected
date of contract award is August 2015, with the anticipated time for completion of construction and
commercial operation being 12-15 months. These timings are subject to change.
12. Interested Contracting Firms may submit queries and request further information to the email address
below, however it is pointed out that limited information will be available for disclosure under the tender
launch date or until Non-Disclosure Agreements are entered into. A brief summary project information
memorandum (PIM) will be made available electronically during February, and will be made available to
13. Expressions of interest must be received at the email address below no later than Friday 27th February
2015, 15:00 East Africa Time and specifically referencing “Corbetti Geothermal 20MW EPC”.
14. This SPN is an updated version from that previously issued on 24th December 2014.
Mr. Richard Scott
+254 700 470 449.
4th Floor, Cavendish Building, 14 Riverside