Energy Supply Improvement Investment Program -Tranche 1
| Published December 8, 2016 - Deadline February 5, 2017
Invitation for Bids
1. The Islamic Republic of Afghanistan has received a grant from the Asian Development
Bank (ADB) toward the cost of Energy Supply Improvement Investment Program – Tranche
1 and it intends to apply part of the proceeds of this Grant to payments under the contract for
the scope described below under item 2. No nationality restrictions apply, other than any
restrictions arising from ITB 4.7.
2. The National Procurement Authority on behalf of Da Afghanistan Breshna Sherkat
(DABS) (“the Employer”) now invites sealed Bids for a turnkey contract: Procurement of Plant,
Design, Supply, Installation, testing & commissioning of 500kV Transmission Line from
Sheberghan to Dasht-e-Alwan (Pul-e-Khumri). The towers will be designed and constructed
for double circuit.
Name of Goods and Related Services
The project comprises:
500 kV single circuit transmission line from Sheberghan to Dasht-e-Alwan (near
Pul-e-Khumri) Substation. The towers will be designed and constructed for
The project is part of a larger network of 500-kV transmission network under planning
and construction including 500/220/20 kV substations at Dasht-e-Alwan (Pul-i-Khumri)
and 220/20 kV substation at Sheberghan, although not tendered out as part of this
package but the contractor will need to schedule and align its activities and works with
this project so that all projects are completed simultaneously.
The Scope of Works includes the following deliveries and services: Design,
manufacture, testing, supply, insurance, packing for export, shipment, delivery to site,
unloading, provision of access roads, civil works and erection and installation of
equipment, testing on completion, commissioning, setting to work and documentation.
The project will be implemented on a turn-key contract basis and will include generally
Date: 8 December 2016
0464/0465-AFG: Energy Supply Improvement Investment Program -
NPA/DABS/95/W-1404/ICB: Procurement of Plant, Design, Supply,
Installation, testing & commissioning of 500kV Transmission Line from
Sheberghan to Dasht-e-Alwan (Pul-e-Khumri)
5 February 2017, 10:00 hours (Kabul local time)
• All line components and services not explicitly mentioned but necessary for a
turnkey type contract for the transmission line.
• Installation of the complete overhead line 500 kV, single circuit, (towers,
foundations, insulators, fittings, conductor, earth-wire and OPGW);
• Installation of all required tie-ins at Dasht-e-Alwan and Sheberghan substations,
including adjustment of the existing 220 kV tie-ins. These works include supply
and installation of the standard 220kV towers, foundations, conductor, tension
insulator strings at the gantries.
• Temporary facilities required for the implementation of the Works (site offices,
temporary roads, etc.)
3. International competitive bidding will be conducted in accordance with ADB's Single-
Stage, One-Envelope bidding procedure is open to all Bidders without nationality restrictions.
For this procedure, bidders will submit bids in one envelope containing both the Price Proposal
and the Technical Proposal. The envelopes will be opened in public at the date and time
advised above and in the bidding document. The Bids will be evaluated, and following approval
by ADB, the Contract will be awarded to the Bidder whose Bid has been determined to be the
lowest evaluated substantially responsive Bid.
4. Only eligible bidders with the following key qualifications, summarized from the bidding
document, should participate in the bidding. Bidders are requested to refer to Section 3 of the
bidding documents for a full range of criteria prior to submitting a bid. In case of any
discrepancies between this invitation for bid and the bidding documents, the bidding
documents shall prevail.
• Minimum average annual turnover of US$ 90,000,000.00 calculated as total certified
payments received for contracts in progress or completed, within the last three (3) years.
• The Bidder must demonstrate access to, or availability of, financial resources such as
liquid assets, unencumbered real assets, lines of credit, and other financial means, other
than any contractual advance payments to meet:
a) the following cash-flow requirement, US$ 25,000,000.00 and
b) the overall cash flow requirements for this contract and its current works
• Participation as contractor or subcontractor, in at least 2 turnkey contracts for the design,
supply, installation and commissioning of transmission lines above 500-kV within the last
eight (8) years, each with a contract value of at least US$ 75,000,000.00 that have been
successfully or are substantially completed and that are similar to the proposed plant
and services. At least 1 contract should be similar to the proposed plant, and have been
commissioned and in successful operation for minimum 3 years as on the date of Bid
Opening, and 1 contract should have been completed outside the bidder’s home country.
• All pending litigation shall be treated as resolved against the Bidder and so shall in total
not represent more than fifty percent (50%) of the Bidder’s or any Joint Venture Partner
5. Interested eligible Bidders may obtain further information from NPA and inspect the
Bidding Document at the address given below, from [insert BD availability start and end date]
08:00 to 16:00 hours (local Kabul time), Saturday to Thursday.
6. A complete set of Bidding Documents in English may be obtained by interested bidders
free of cost by downloading from the NPA website www.npa.gov.af or DABS website
www.dabs.af. Bidding documents may also be obtained in a CD/flash memory from the NPA
office (at address given below). In case of any difficulty in downloading from website, interested
bidders may contact at e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org and Tel: No. (+93)
0202147557 cc: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Deliver bids:
• To the address below:
Address: Administrative Office of the President,
National Procurement Authority, Procurement Facilitation Directorate,
5th Floor, Kabul, Afghanistan
• On or before the deadline 5 February 2017, 10:00 hours (Kabul local time)
• Together with a Bid Security as described in the bidding document
All Bids must be delivered at the place and time indicated above together with a Bid Security as
specified in the Bidding Documents, ITB 21.1. Late bids shall be rejected.
8. NPA will not be responsible for any costs or expenses incurred by Bidders in connection
with the preparation or delivery of Bids.