The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development ("EBRD" or the "Bank") wishes to engage a Team Leader / Business Environment Expert in charge of the Technical Team of experts to be based within the Tunisia Investment Authority's Department for Reforms and Investment Policies and supporting the Strategic Council.
The Strategic Council, chaired by the President of the Tunisia Investment Authority (TIA), gathers around the same table the representatives of the key Tunisian business associations and government officials and its mission is to evaluate strategic policy reform initiatives to enhance the investment climate and the business environment and recommend them to the High Investment Council. A sound business environment is vital for private sector development, and supporting policy reform dialogue on the investment climate plays a central role in the EBRD's engagement in Tunisia. Public-private dialogue sustained by platforms such as the Strategic Council can be a tool to build inclusive consensus for key economic reforms in Tunisia.
The TIA's Department for Reforms and Investment Policies (IPRD), with the support of the Technical Team, performs the secretariat function of the Strategic Council. The Technical Team is composed of a group of three experts led by, and reporting to, the Team Leader / Business Environment Expert of the technical team, who reports, in turn, to the President of the TIA who is also Chair of the Strategic Council.
In addition to the Team Leader / Business Environment Expert, the Technical Team is composed of:
- Legal Expert
- Communications and PR Expert
- Team Assistant
Tasks of the Team Leader / Business Environment Expert
The Team Leader / Business Environment Expert will be supported by three professionals. He/She will have a dual reporting line to the Chair of the Strategic Council and President of TIA and to the Project Operation Leader of the EBRD. The tasks of the Team Leader / Business Environment Expert will include, inter alia, the following:
This is a full-time role and the expert is expected to be resident in Tunisia for the entire duration of the Assignment.
Assignment Start Date and Duration:
The Assignment is expected to start in February/March 2018 and last for 12 months with possible extension, subject to business needs, satisfactory performance of the expert, and the availability of additional funding.
Value Added Tax (VAT):
The consultant must determine whether any VAT would be chargeable on the services and the basis for that determination, without taking into consideration the Bank's special status as an IFI and state this to the Bank in their response to the Invitation for Expressions of Interest. To the extent that a consultant incurs input VAT on goods and services purhcased in connection with the provision of services (e.g. VAT on airline ticket) which is not otherwise recoverable by the consultant from the local tax authority, the gross cost to the consultant of such expenses shall be treated as a reimbursable expense.
Funding Source: It is anticipated that the contract will be financed through the EBRD Shareholders Special Fund.
Eligibility: There are no eligibility restrictions.
Individuals and consulting firms (proposing individuals) may apply. Consulting firms nominating an individual expert shall submit (separate) individual applications for each expert via eSelection. Single applications for a number of experts containing various CVs may result in rejection of such application and all concerned experts.
The individual expert should possess the following skills:
· Preferably at least 10 years of relevant work experience at the highest levels, preferably in both the public and private sectors.
· Strong managerial skills, outstanding communication, and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to interact effectively with senior officials in government and the business community.
· Fluency in written and oral Arabic, French and English.
· Strong academic background in business, economics, finance or related field, with a degree from a reputable university.
· Deep understanding of the investment climate challenges in Tunisia.
Prior international experience and experience of working with government entities will be an advantage.
In order to determine the capability and experience of experts seeking to be selected for this Assignment, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Cover letter (maximum 2 pages) summarising how the expert believes he/she satisfies the requirements as defined above under Consultant Profile;
2. CV (not exceeding 4 pages) which should include full descriptions of responsibilities carried out, not just a job title, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration) , main activities, objectives;
3. Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
Expressions of Interest should be submitted in English electronically through e-Selection, to reach the Bank not later than the closing date. The complete expression of interest (including cover letter, CV, the declaration form and contact sheet etc.) shall be one file (pdf) to be uploaded to eSelection. The EBRD reserves right to reject applications of experts submitting more than one file. Only if the permissible file size (4 MB) is exceeded, the expert may split the expression of interest into further files.
The EBRD's Contact Person:
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square
London EC2A 2JN
Tel: + 44 20 7338
Fax: +44 20 7338 6765
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (submissions should be sent through eSelection and NOT to this email address)
1. Selection and contracting will normally be made from responses to this notification.
2. The shortlist criteria and weightings are:
- Relevant work experience at the highest levels, preferably in both the public and private sectors (20%)
- Strong managerial skills, outstanding communication, and interpersonal skills (10%)
- Ability to interact effectively with senior officials in government and the business community (15%)
- Fluency in written and oral Arabic, French and English (10%)
- Strong academic background in business, economics, finance or related field, with a degree from a reputable university (10%)
- Deep understanding of the investment climate challenges in Tunisia (15%)
- Interview (20%)
Interviews Following the evaluation of expressions of interest received, up to 6 highest-ranked consultants will be invited to attend an interview. The Bank will consult with the consultant regarding the format (e.g. Skype call, meeting, conference call, etc.) and date of the interview at the time of the invitation. Please note that all and any costs incurred by the Consultant in connection with attendance to interviews will not reimbursed by the Bank.
Following the evaluation of expressions of interest received, up to 6 highest-ranked consultants will be invited to attend an interview.
The Bank will consult with the consultant regarding the format (e.g. Skype call, meeting, conference call, etc.) and date of the interview at the time of the invitation. Please note that all and any costs incurred by the Consultant in connection with attendance to interviews will not reimbursed by the Bank.
3. The highest-ranked Consultant will be selected from a shortlist and be invited to negotiate the contract, subject to availability of funding.