LR-Strengthening Nal Statistics - P145709
Liberia Institute of Statistics and Geo-Information Services (LISGIS) | Published October 1, 2015 - Deadline October 16, 2015
Republic Of Liberialiberia Institute Of Statistics And
Geo-information Services (lisgis)request For Expressionof Interest For Finance Officer
For Liberia Household Income & Expenditure (hies) Survey 2015-16
REPUBLIC OF LIBERIA
LIBERIA INSTITUTE OF STATISTICS AND GEO-INFORMATIONSERVICES (LISGIS)
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
FOR FINANCE OFFICER FOR LIBERIA HOUSEHOLD INCOME &EXPENDITURE (HIES) SURVEY 2015-16
The Government of Liberia through the Liberia Institute of Statistics and Geo-Information Services(LISGIS) with the support ofthe World Bank and other key development partners (United States of America International Development(USAID), European Union (EU) and Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) is to shortly commence there-run of the LiberiaHousehold Income and Expenditure Survey (HIES) in 2015/16. This is a multi-purpose/multi-topic survey that is designed to collectdata on household income and expenditure, which will provide weights and an updated commodity basket for the construction of aNational Consumer Price Index (NCPI), a detailed agricultural crop data analysis, a baseline data for the Agenda for Transformation(AfT), poverty analysis and update for the National Accounts using household expenditure data. Other components of this projectinclude capacity building, cross-country knowledge sharing and the improvement of household survey methodologies in Liberia. TheSurvey previously began in January 2014, but was halted after Six (6) months of data collection due to the state of emergencyimposed as a result of the ravaging Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in August, 2014.
At the end of 2014, the Government and partners saw the need to run a full Twelve (12) months datacollection in order to completely capture the full expenditure pattern and income levels of households across the country and atthe same time, conduct the annual Agriculture Crop Cutting Survey and Agriculture recall-based survey in between which is anintegral part of the HIES.
It is in this light, LISGIS wishes to recruit a Finance Officer to assist with all project financesin close collaboration withLISGIS' Finance Division and the HIES project team to provide prudentfinancial support in accordancewith accounting standards and in agreement with the Government of Liberia and the World Bank regulations and guidelines for theimplementation of the HIES and provide technical and hands-on-training for the staff of the Finance Division ofLISGIS.
2. Funding ofProject
The Project is funded by the Government of Liberia, the Multi Donor Trust Fund(which includes the World Bank, Sweden International Development Corporation Agency (Sida), European Union (EU) and United StatesAgency for International Development (USAID) and the Trust Fund for Statistical Capacity Building(TFSCB).
3. Objective of Assignment
The objective of the assignment is to manage all financial compliance, reporting and reconciliationassociated with the HIES aswell as other projects managed by the LISGIS. Particular focus will be on the HIES whose funds are beingmanaged by the World Bank althoughthe Finance Officer will be responsible for the activities funded by other sources. In executinghis or her duties, the Finance Officer maysupervise one or more employees. The Finance Officer will work for the LISGIS; theposition requires close collaboration with the Finance Director/Chief Accountant of LISGIS and the HIES project team.
4. Tasks and Scope of Service
Under the direct supervision of the HIES Project Director and in close collaboration with the DeputyDirector-General for Administration (DDGA) and the Director of Finance, the Finance Officer shall assist the staff of the Finance Division to perform the following tasks:
1) Perform day-to-day finance related functions,including assisting with budget preparations ofon-going tasks, submitting memorandums and payment requests to the LISGIS or toMinistry of Finance's Project Financial Management Unit in order to request funds, follow up on payment requests made to LISGIS,PFMU or TFSCB;
2) Maintain accounts of all expenditure requests madefrom all three sources of HIES project funding, prepare reconciliations of actual spending against runningbudget;
3) Timely and accurate submission of reports as requiredby the World Bank and other donors andthe HIES project team;
4) Maintenance and reviewof project budgets andassociated estimates of costs to complete projects including the identification of variances and estimation of coststo completeprojects;
5) Ensuring the alignmentof business process for projectrelated accounting;
6) Developing and maintaining reporting procedures fordaily/weekly/monthly reporting and analysis relative to LISGIS's implemented capital projects;
7) Updating other management staff as needed to ensurefull awareness of the requirements of the World Bank and other donors;
8) Preparing replenishment returns for eligibleexpenditures so as to ensure that the project designated account remain liquid at all time;
9) Assisting Internal andExternal Auditors during auditperiods;
10) Assist with the updating of all financial forecastingfor the implementation of the HIES during the life of the contract;
11) Supervision of one or more supporting staff insupport of the project accounting and management;
12) Organize monthly meeting with financialand operationmanagement to ensure timely reporting on World Bank andother project statuses;
13) Identify the required business processes for projectmanagement and donor compliance and ensure that they arecomplied with as part of the project implementation;
14) Maintain necessary records and reports on a timelybasis to be fully compliant with donor requirements;
15) Supervise supporting staff as neededfor the successful execution of duties;
16) Assist and train managersin LISGIS toensure full compliance and awareness of Bank and other donor requirements; and
17) Perform other relevant duties as assignedby theProject Director, the HIES Resident Advisor, the Director General and the Finance Director of LISGIS.
1. Collate all project accounting documentscovering financial transaction of the project on daily basis and inputdata into the computerized ledger. Update the financialledger and generate pre- set financial reports on quarterly basis at the end of each quarter;
2. Prepare the interim financial reports forthedesignated account ready for submission to the counterparts;
3. Liaise with staff of the LISGIS and ensurecoordination on all project accounting matters;
4. Ensure that the authorized signatory letter andsubsequent changes thereof are prepared for the project at LISGIS in a timely manner;
5. Maintain committee's evaluation of financialproposals for contractors, consultants and supplies for the project;
6. Participate in the negotiations process of allcontracts for consultants, contractors and suppliers;
7. Process (or supervise processing of) approvedinvoices in the LISGIS and raise Payment Vouchers based on the approved invoices and in consultation with the ProjectDirector/Finance Director/Chief Accountant, arrange the expenditure and note the correct codes on the payment vouchers in line withthe procurement plan of the project;
8. Maintain the project's expenditure commitmentregister and update the register regularly and ensure through liaison with the Project Director/Finance Director/Chief Accountant,and ensure that the register is updated at all times;
9. Collate the project data and documentationsperiodically and prepare withdrawal applications for the project ina timely manner to ensure regular inflow of funds to theprojects at all times;
10. Open and maintain files on all disbursements for theprojects;
11. Maintain advance payment register and monitor settlement ofadvances given by the projects during the project purchasing cycle;
12. Liaise with procurement department to ensure payment requests infavor of vendors have been submitted for processing and ensure accurate presentation of such payments in all incoming financialreports (IFRs) after payment;
13. Prepare periodic (monthly/quarterly/semi-annually/annual) budgetforecast for the project in order to ensure that all proposed commitments and operational budget are properly forecasted and sendto the Project's Director for onward submission for clearance;
14. Regularly reconcile expenditures made through all sources offunding against running balance;
15. Liaise with the PFMU to ensure all payments to contractors,consultants and suppliers through direct payments, replenishments are paid in a timely manner;
16. Assist in maintaining the project's fixed asset registry;and
17. Carry out other duties as assigned by the Project Director/FinanceDirector of LISGIS.
5.0 Expressions ofInterest
The Liberia Institute of Statistics and Geo-Information Services (LISGIS) now invite eligibleIndividual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services. InterestedConsultants must provide informationindicating that they are qualified to perform the services (letter of intent, curriculum vitae, description of similar assignments,experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills, three referees - indicate full names andcontact details ofreferees, any other information which demonstrate your qualifications for this assignment, etc.). Selection will be based onqualifications, experience and skills stipulated below.
6.0 Qualifications, Experience and Skills
1) Bachelor's degree in accountancy, finance, information technology or business administration (finance and accountingbias);
2) Post-graduate education or professional certification is desirable;
3) Minimum of 3 years' relevant work experience, preference given toexperience in project accounting, including experience in managing projects funded by the World Bank and/or otherdonors;
4) Fluency in written and spoken English, and experience in report writingarerequired.
5) Advanced knowledge of desktop computing packages including MicrosoftOfficeSuite (MS Excel, Outlook, Word, Access, QuickBooks, and PowerPoint), etc.;
6) Familiarity with data management tools and platforms including SQL orsimilar data analysis and reporting tools is highly desirable;
7) Demonstrate high levels of personal initiative, motivation, andintegrity; strong planning, organization, communication, and time management skills and an ability to manage multiple tasks at once are desired;
8) Supervisory experience is required;
9) Experience with LISGIS utility companies isdesirable.
Professional references may be required of short-listedcandidates.
7.0 Expected Duration
The contract is intended for one year (October 2015 ? September 2016) and will beco-terminus with the HIES project duration, thus, the contract may be extended based on satisfactory performance of the FinanceOfficer.
8.0 Selection of Consultant
The Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant Selection (ICS) method set out in the WorldBank's Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultantsunder IBRD Loans and IDA Credits and Grants by World Bank Borrowers" dated January 2011 (Revised July 2014).
InterestedConsultants may obtain further information including a detailed Terms of Reference from the LISGIS at the address below duringoffice hours 9.00 to 17:00 hours.
9.0 Submission of Expression ofInterest
Expressions of interest must be delivered to the address below by hand, mail,courier or email on or before Friday, October16th, 2015 at 16:00 hours local time.
Director of Procurementand Logistics
Liberia Institute ofStatistics and Geo-Information Services (LISGIS)
Telephone: + 231 ? 886 524025 or + 231 777524025