Supervision of Works for Urban Regeneration of the public spaces within residential blocks in the districts Alfa, Faleza Mureș, Confecții, Micălaca, Aurel Vlaicu and City Centre, including the protected area”
The Invitation for expressions of interest follows the General Procurement Notice No. 8364-GPN-48156 for this project which was published in Procurement Opportunities, on the EBRD’s web-site (http://www.ebrd.com/pages/workingwithus/procurement/project.shtml) on July 25, 2016 and in the Supplement to the Official Journal of European Union (OJ/S).
The works will consist of the construction of ground parking and related facilities, respectively sidewalks, sewers, street furniture and green areas.
The Project consist in the following:
- Micalaca 300 – 3 pieces;
- Micalaca 500-700 – 1 piece;
- Alfa – 2 pieces;
The works will comprise rehabilitation of the areas between the blocks of flats (parking places, sidewalks and green areas, rainwater drainage), extension of water and sewerage networks, including Specifications, Drawings and Bill of Quantities.
The Consultant will be required to undertake the role of the “Engineer” as defined in the FIDIC RED Conditions of Contract as well as to ensure the Independent Construction Supervision in accordance with the legal provisions in this field.
The main purpose of this activity is to support the preparation of tender documents, assistance during the tender and supervision of the project's works.
The Services shall include, but not be limited to the following: (a) participation in the preparation of tender documents, assistance during the tender and supervision of the project works; (b) establishment of systems of managerial control for works contract; (c) the Engineer’s administration of Contract, (d) control over estimated works quantities and contract outcome costs, in monitoring the progress of the Works and technical records; (e) control and acceptance of contractor’s interim and final payment certificates; (f) the acceptance and/or approval of Contractors’ key staff, insurances, guarantees, licenses, programs, method statements, traffic management plans, safety measures, suppliers and materials for incorporation in the works, the quality assurance and control plans, laboratory provisions and execution of the testing program, subcontractors, plant, equipment and environmental protection; (g) direct supervision of the works and monitoring of progress; (h) the preparation of progress, technical and contractual reports, (i) execution of the control tests of all materials intended for incorporation into permanent works and the all executed works, (j) assisting the Municipality in the reporting (technical, financial, environmental, i.e.) to EBRD on administration of works contract and other Health and Safety matters .
The assignment is expected to start in May 2017 and last about of 60 months (including 24 months for the defect notification period).
The contract will be financed 51% from EBRD loan and 49% by the City of Arad and consulting firms from any countries are eligible for shortlisting and selection.
In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants to be shortlisted, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Company/group of firms' profile, organisation and staffing (max. 2 - 4 pages).
2. Details of previous project experience or similar assignments particularly undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration), main activities, objectives.
3. CVs of key experts who could carry out the Assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from project duration), assignment budget, main activities, objectives.
The expression of interest shall not exceed 25 pages (excluding CVs Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet).
In order to successfully implement the assignment, it is envisaged that the consultant’s team will consist of the following experts:
The Consultant’s experts to have good knowledge of FIDIC Conditions of Contract – Red Book / IFI Conditions of Contract. The languages of the contract are English and Romanian.
Also, the Consultant shall envisage the group of following technical support staff:
The Consultant should be a firm or a consortium of firms with valid license for at least one member of the consortium for independent construction supervision in accordance with the legal provisions on this field.
The Consultant shall simultaneously comply with the following minim requirements:
The complete expression of interest (including CVs, Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet) (http://www.ebrd.com/pages/workingwithus/procurement/notices/csu/contact_sheet.doc). should be submitted, in English and Romanian via email (pdf) to the Client's contact person, to reach the Client not later than the closing date 16 January 2017 at 10.00 am local time. The expression of interest shall be one file (pdf). The Client reserves the right to reject applications of firms submitting more than one file. Only if any limitation on the permissible file size is exceeded, the Consultant may split the expression of interest into further files. In case of discrepancy, the English language version of the documentation, will prevail.
Evaluation criteria of EOIs:
1) Company Profile - 10%, out of which 5% years of experience in the field and 5% backstopping capacity (number of qualified permanent staff, presence of local office in the country, availability to qualified experts, etc);
2) Experience - 50%, out of which 25% experience of the Consultant under similar assignments related to urban roads, 15% experience of the Consultant under similar assignments related to urban utilities networks and 10% experience of the Consultant in the region;
3) Access to qualified experts: - 40%,
To demonstrate access to qualified experts the Consultants shall provide at least once CV for each position required for the implementation of the contract, as indicated above.
Procurement procedure: Procurement of the consultancy services will be conducted through the procedures as specified in the EBRD’s Procurement Policies and Rules (PP&R) dated October, 2014.
One shortlist of qualified firms will be prepared on the response to this invitation, after which short-listed firms will be invited to submit their proposals.
If the Consultant has been found by a judicial process or other official enquiry to have engaged in any of the Prohibited Practices as defined in the EBRD PP&R, details of the basis for the outcome of such process or enquiry shall be provided with the expression of interest.
The Employer reserves the right not to shortlist consulting firms that have been found to have engaged in any of the Prohibited Practices regardless of the results of technical evaluation of the expressions of interest.
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (local time).
Contact name Mrs. Laura Bocancios
Client Municipality of Arad
Address Revolutiei Square, no 75, Arad
Phone: 0040 257 212 478
Fax: 0040 257 212 478
01/03/2017: Interested parties are invited to consult Clarification Document No. 1 which addresses a number of queries received in connection with this competitive process. http://www.ebrd.com/documents/procurement/67991-clar-doc-no-1.pdf
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the 'EBRD' or the 'Bank') has developed a EUR 120 million Framework for Sustainable Mobility and Access to Road Transport ('SMART' or the 'Programme') to provide financing for improvement of public transport services and road infrastructure in cities and counties of Romania. Under the Programme it is envisaged that EBRD will provide finance to approximately 10 cities/counties, in loans ranging from EUR 10 million – EUR 25 million. The loans may be provided either to the City, the County or the Municipal Transport Operating Company (each, a 'Beneficiary').
SMART shall address challenges in a critical mass of Romanian cities and counties to: (i) upgrade, reform and improve the reliability of public transport infrastructure and rolling stock, and (ii) upgrade road infrastructure and preserve its value through introduction of asset management practices. As a result of the poor existing state of both infrastructure and public services, these components are addressed simultaneously in order to provide an efficient and quality transport service and ensure preservation and sustainability of the invested assets for cities and counties. Moreover, combining within the Programme enables the addressing of key policy issues affecting sector sustainability such as mobilisation of sufficient funding sources and encouragement of efficient private sector participation.
The Bank intends to enter into a Framework Contract with one (1) consultant (Framework Consultant or Consultant) to enable the Bank to call upon a firm from which it can quickly and efficiently obtain reliable services.
The main objective of the Framework Contract is to promote improved performance and funding of public transport and road infrastructure sectors through development of benchmarking, exchange platforms and technical support. This in turn will increase transparency resulting in an effective operational tool for monitoring performance and encouraging improved performance in the sector.
The Framework Contract will establish, in advance, fee rates for experts, the contract terms and agreements, and procedures that will govern individual assignments (Assignments or Call-offs) to be required to implement the Programme. Under the Framework Contract the Bank will have the option, but not the obligation, to place individual Assignments with the selected Framework Consultant.
The Bank may send to the selected Framework Consultant specific Terms of Reference for the Assignment (Specific ToR). The Specific ToR will include a description of the tasks to be performed, time-schedules and reporting instructions. The Framework Consultant should respond by sending to the Bank a technical and financial proposal for the Assignment together with details of the Expert(s) proposed to carry out the work. The Bank will then assess – together with the Beneficiary - the response and, subject to successful negotiations, issue a call-off notice (Call-Off Notice) for the individual Assignment.
Description of individual Assignments (Call-offs):
Consultancy services for individual Assignments are expected to include support as follows:
• Sector-wide performance benchmarking and monitoring to assist the Beneficiaries through a benchmarking support for both public transport and road maintenance operations. Benchmarking will have multiple objectives. First, it will provide agencies and operators with a tool to compare operational performance within the peer group and relative to industry standards, thus helping to develop best practice and take actions for improved performance. Second, it will provide an important tool to monitor the quality of service provision and performance for enforcement and updating of Public Services Contracts. Finally, it will provide a comprehensive tool to monitor the performance of the sector. Workshops shall provide a platform for operational dialogue and best practice dissemination.
• Development of sector funding strategy. Greater cost accountability, transparency and predictability increase the ability to solicit longer term funding sources from public sector as well as commercial sources. The securing of sufficient funding sources is critically lacking in Romania for the necessary upgrades in service levels, both in public transport and road infrastructure. However, such strategic actions cannot be pursued effectively by individual cities or county-level agencies. In order to engage effectively actors at the national level, a multi-agency agenda shall be pursued under the Programme with the objective of obtaining more secure, and longer-term funding sources. The funding strategy shall assess possible funding strategies and ensure broad policy dialogue with recommendations for adoption.
• Conducting of seminars and roadshows to present the improved opportunities in public transport operations and road maintenance and stimulate increased private sector participation.
It is currently envisaged that the Framework Contract will support up to 10 sub-projects, including those already identified as:
• Arad Urban Rehabilitation (signed);
• Sibiu Streets Rehabilitation (signed);
• Iasi Urban Transport (signed);
• Constanta Urban Transport (signed).
While the Framework Consultant will work closely with the Beneficiary, the contracting entity for both the Framework Contract and each Call-Off will be the Bank.
Status of Selection Process:
Interested firms or groups of firms are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest.
Framework Contract Start Date and Duration:
The Framework Contract is expected to start in mid-2017. The selected Framework Consultant will be engaged via a Framework Contract with a validity period of up to 3 years.
Cost Estimate for the Framework and Assignments:
EUR 800,000 (exclusive of VAT). Subject to availability of funding, the performance of the selected Framework Consultant(s) and the specific needs of the Bank the Framework Contract may be extended beyond the current scope.
The cost estimate for individual Assignments will vary depending on their specific scope, but individual budgets are expected to be in the region of EUR 25,000 – 100,000 (exclusive of VAT).
The consultant must determine whether any VAT would be chargeable on the services and the basis for that determination, without taking into consideration the Bank's special status as an IFI and state this to the Bank in their response to the Invitation for Expressions of Interest. To the extent that a consultant incurs input VAT on goods and services purchased in connection with the provision of services (e.g. VAT on airline ticket) which is not otherwise recoverable by the consultant from the local tax authority, the gross cost to the consultant of such expenses shall be treated as a reimbursable expense.
It is anticipated that the contract will be financed through the EBRD's donor funded Technical Cooperation Funds Programme. Please note that selection, contracting and award of individual Call-Offs will be subject to the availability of funding.
There are no eligibility restrictions.
Framework Consultant Profile:
Corporate services are required. The Framework Consultant will be a firm or consortium of firms who can demonstrate the full range of expertise required. The lead firm will provide (either themselves or through nominated sub-contractors) the necessary expertise to carry out the Assignments and will ensure the synergies (where necessary) between all Assignments implemented under this Framework Contract. The scope of work under the Framework Contract will require the Consultant's team members to be specialists who can provide expertise in the particular service. Due to the nature or size of a given Assignment, some resources may be required to have skills and experience that span all tasks. Additional skills and experience beyond those listed in the scope may be required for a given Assignment.
Lead firm and/or sub-contractors will have the following core expertise:
• at least 10 years' experience in developing Road Asset Management System ('RAMS') and funding policies and strategies, ideally in urban sector, compatible with leading international practice; and
• working in similar environments, preferably in Romania or the region.
The Consultants' expert team is expected to include key experts each with preferably at least 7 year experience of the role for which they are proposed as follows:
(i) Project Manager/ Public Transport Operations specialist
(ii) Local Deputy Project Manager
(iii) Accounting Systems Expert
(iv) Benchmarking Specialist
(v) Database specialist
(vi) Highway Engineer
(vii) Road asset management specialist
(viii) Institutional specialist
(ix) Transport planner/economist (funding strategy component)
(x) ITS systems specialist (HGV/parking)
(xi) Parking specialist
(xii) Legal expert (legislation and regulation)
(xiii) Financial specialist
Non-key experts are likely to cover non-core expertise or activities that require local knowledge or capability and may be nominated on an Assignment-by-Assignment basis subject to prior approval by the EBRD.
Interested consultants are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest. In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants seeking to be shortlisted for the Programme, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Company/group of firms' profile, organisation and staffing (max. 3 pages).
2. Details of previous relevant project experience on similar assignments particularly undertaken in the previous ten years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration) , main activities, objectives (max. 9 pages).
3. Summary CVs of key experts who could carry out the Assignments detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives (max. 1 page per CV).
4. Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
The above information should not exceed 25 pages including summary CVs but excluding consultant declaration and contact sheet.
Expressions of Interest should be submitted in English electronically through e-Selection, to reach the Bank not later than the closing date. The complete expression of interest (including cover letter, CV, declaration and contact sheet etc.) shall be one file (pdf) to be uploaded to eSelection. The EBRD reserves the right to reject applications of experts submitting more than one file. Only if the permissible file size (4 MB) is exceeded, the Consultant may split the expression of interest into further files.
Bank Contact Person:
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square
London EC2A 2JN
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7338 7589
e-mail: AlegriaP@ebrd.com (submissions should be sent through eSelection and NOT to this email address)
1. Following this invitation for Expressions of Interest, a shortlist of qualified firms will be formally invited to submit proposals. Consultant selection and contracting will be subject to the availability of funding.
2. The Expressions of interest will be evaluated based on the following shortlist criteria and weightings:
a) Lead Firm/Consortium's demonstrated experience in developing RAMS and funding policies and strategies, ideally in urban sector, compatible with leading international practice (35%);
b) Firm's previous project experience in working in similar environments, preferably in Romania or the region (20%); and
c) CV of Key Experts (45%).