THIS PROCUREMENT NOTICE IS A RE-PUBLICATION OF THE NOTICE PUBLISHED ON THE EBRD WEBSITE ON 20 MAY 2015. ALL CONSULTANTS WHO EXPRESSED INTEREST IN 2015 ARE WELCOME TO RE-APPLY.
Assignment Description: The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the “EBRD” or the “Bank”) and the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany (via the KFW implementing this transaction on behalf of the German Ministry of Finance) are seeking to appoint a capital markets consultant to be resident in Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic, for a period of one year, to provide advice and assistance to the Kyrgyz authorities on development of local capital markets.
This consulting project comes under the auspices of the two Bank-wide initiatives: the Early Transition Countries (ETC) Initiative and the Initiative on Local Currency and Capital Markets Development (LC2). The latter initiative aims to identify and support sequenced reforms and policies that contribute to the wider use of local currency and local capital market development in the EBRD’s countries of operations. As part of this initiative, the Bank supports development of a favourable environment for capital market related activities by producing focused studies with various capital market topics, improving market infrastructure, and designing capacity building programs via technical cooperation projects.
The Kyrgyz capital markets are very early stage, with all segments and participants requiring further development: government (as issuer), banks, corporates, institutional investors, market intermediaries and regulators. In 2013 the EBRD helped stimulate issuance of local corporate bonds in the Kyrgyz Republic by providing both technical assistance and anchor investor funding to an issuer. Both the EBRD and the KfW are prepared to provide further substantial assistance for the development of local capital markets in the Kyrgyz Republic.
The main objectives of the assignment shall be to increase overall levels of financial intermediation in the Kyrgyz economy by assisting the Kyrgyz Ministry of Finance, State Service for Regulation and Supervision of Financial Markets and the Social Fund of the Kyrgyz Republic (SF). The consultant will be expected to provide continuous assistance to the Kyrgyz authorities and the related institutions from an initial capacity assessment to advice in various areas such as government debt issuance and management, including increase in efficiency of issuance, liability management, developing new instruments; capital market development strategy and development of well-functioning money market; improvement of securities legislation / regulation to protect investors while making issuance less restrictive; and improvement of asset management capacity. The project includes funding for legal expertise to review capital market laws and regulations; the Consultant would oversee this work.
Subject to availability of funding, the performance of the selected Consultant and the specific needs of the Bank the Assignment may be extended beyond the current scope and duration.
Assignment Duration: One year.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment: To be agreed with the selected consultant.
The consultant must determine whether any VAT would be chargeable on the services and the basis for that determination, without taking into consideration the Bank's special status as an IFI and state this to the Bank in their response to the Invitation for Expressions of Interest. To the extent that a consultant incurs input VAT on goods and services purchased in connection with the provision of services (e.g. VAT on airline ticket) which is not otherwise recoverable by the consultant from the local tax authority, the gross cost to the consultant of such expenses shall be treated as a reimbursable expense.
Funding Source: It is expected that the Assignment will be funded through the Technical Cooperation Funds provided by KFW and EBRD Special Shareholder Fund. The EBRD will be the contracting party for the Assignment.
Consultant Profile: The consultant should be an individual or an individual expert proposed by a firm, who can demonstrate relevant experience in capital markets development and in a broad range of developed and emerging markets. The consultant should demonstrate the following:
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
• Strong and substantive knowledge of capital market development with specific knowledge of money markets, government debt markets, corporate bond markets and pension fund management and regulation.
• Experience in drafting a capital markets development strategy and/or advising to governments on capital market development
• Ability to oversee the review of the legal and regulatory environment of financial markets
• Experience in government debt issuance and money markets
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
• Business proficiency in Russian
• Ability to work independently and gain the confidence of senior counterparts
• Working experience with developing economies (preferably in Eastern Europe or the former Soviet Union)
Submission Requirements: In order to determine the capability and experience of candidates seeking to be selected for this assignment, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Cover letter (maximum 2 pages) summarising how he/she satisfies the requirements as defined above under Consultant Profile;
2. CV which should be detailed and include full descriptions of roles responsibilities carried out;
3. Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link: http://www.ebrd.com/pages/workingwithus/procurement/notices/csu/contact_sheet.doc
Responses to the notification are to be submitted in English, through eselection no later than the closing date.
EBRD's Contact Person:
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Tel: + 44 20 7338 6338
1. The selection will normally be made from responses to this notification only. Consultants will not be asked to submit a proposal. The highest-ranked Consultant will be selected from a shortlist and be invited to negotiate the contract, subject to availability of funding.
2. Consulting firms (proposing individuals) and individuals may apply. Consulting firms nominating an individual expert shall submit a complete individual application for each expert via eSelection. Single applications for a number of experts containing various CVs may result in rejection of such application and all concerned experts.
3. Depending on the quality of applications received the EBRD may invite the highest-ranked (up to 6) candidates for interviews to be conducted via Skype or a conference call. The interview is expected to take approximately 1 hour and costs are not reimbursable by EBRD.
4. The evaluation criteria are as follows:
a) Expert’s previous professional experience in areas related to local capital markets development, with specific knowledge of money markets, government debt markets, corporate bond markets, pension funds, and the legal and regulatory environment pertaining to all these: 60%
b) Expert’s previous professional experience in consulting or advising on capital market development for governments:15%
c) Expert’s previous relevant professional experience in Eastern Europe or the former Soviet Union:15%
d) Strong communications skills in speaking and writing in both English and Russian: 10%
This Consultant Profile in this notice has been amended.
Kyzyl-Kiya Water Sub-Project - PIU Support Including Engineering, Design and Contracts
The city of Kyzyl-kiya (the "City") approached the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the "EBRD" or the "Bank") with request to finance the rehabilitation of the water supply and selected wastewater improvements in the City (the "Project").
Water supply operations in the Kyrgyz Republic are characterised by severely deteriorated assets for water supply and wastewater collection; very limited wastewater treatment; high operations and maintenance costs due to the deteriorated state of the assets; unreliable water supply and low institutional capacity to manage operationally and financially sustainable water supply services.
The city of Kyzyl-kiya (the "City") is situated in the south of the Kyrgyz Republic and one of the big industrial centres in the region. The population of the City was reported at 47,643 in 2014 with an expected increase in population of 2 per cent per annum. Kyzyl-kiya Water Company (the "Company"), a municipal enterprise wholly-owned by the City, provides water supply services to the whole city.
The Project objectives are to: (i) rehabilitate the water supply system and selected wastewater improvements; (ii) improve billing and collection efficiency; and (iii) improve financial and operational management. The Project will lead to a reduction in operating and maintenance costs for water supply and reduce wastage of water.
The Company now intends to retain a consultant (the "Consultant") to establish a PIU to support them in all aspects of the Project's implementation, including preparation of design, technical specifications, tender documentation, assistance with tendering, tender evaluation and contract finalisation, administration and supervision of the contract implementation including the implementation of the environmental and social action plan ("ESAP"), as well as set up of the disbursement system (the "assignment").
The expected outcome of the assignment is the successful procurement of works and goods in accordance with the EBRD's "Procurement Policies and Rules" and the successful and timely completion of the Project.
The Consultant is expected to provide the following services:
(i) overall project management support as required;
(ii) design of the works and preparation technical specifications for goods;
(iii) arrangement of preparation of the prequalification, if any, and tender documents for procurement of works and goods;
(iv) arrangement of the tendering procedure for works and goods, including evaluation of tenders and drafting tender evaluation reports;
(v) administration of contract implementation including, where appropriate, works supervision or assistance with works supervision; and
(vi) arrangement of timely disbursements under the contracts.
The Consultant will provide support in relation to the whole Project and not only to the portion financed by EBRD.
Status of Selection Process:
Interested firms or group of firms are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest.
Assignment Start Date and Duration:
The assignment is expected to start in first quarter of 2016 and has an estimated overall duration of 30 months.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment: EUR 600,000.00 (exclusive of VAT).
The assignment may be extended subject to availability of further funding, the performance of the selected consultant and the specific needs of the Company.
The Consultant must determine whether any indirect taxes/VAT are chargeable on the proposed services and state the basis for such. If any indirect taxes/VAT are payable, the Client will have to pay indirect taxes/VAT element to the services directly to the Consultant unless otherwise agreed.
Funding Source: Austrian Fund for Municipal Infrastructure
Eligibility: Consultancy firms shall be entities registered in Austria and all experts proposed by the entity to work on the assignment must be either Austrian nationals or permanent residents of Austria. However, up to a maximum of 25% of the maximum contract amount may be used to finance services of local experts who are nationals of the Kyrgyz Republic or consultancy firms of the Kyrgyz Republic.
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required. The Consultant will be a firm or a group of firms with preferably 5 years’ previous project experience related to:
(a) project implementation support, engineering design services and contract supervision, including specific experience in the water and wastewater sector in similar climatic conditions;
(b) application of procurement rules of international financial institutions ("IFIs") (such as EBRD, World Bank, ADB or equivalent) and previous experience in applying FIDIC/World Bank/EBRD supply and installation contractual arrangements.
The Consultant will also demonstrate previous experience in implementing projects
- in accordance with EBRD’s (or equivalent) environmental and social requirements;
- and project-related knowledge of Kyrgyz legislation concerning construction, financial, accounting and disbursement issues.
The Consultant’s expert team is expected to include the following key experts:
Key Expert No 1: Project Manager with preferably 5 years of previous professional experience in design and project management of municipal water and wastewater sector in countries with conditions similar to Kyrgyzstan.
Key Expert No 2: IFI Procurement, Contracts Specialist with preferably 5 years of previous professional experience in design, project management, supervision of construction and supply and installation of the equipment in similar projects gained in countries with conditions similar to Kyrgyzstan.
The pool of other key experts will consist of international and local water and wastewater engineers; financial and disbursement specialist; environmental and social specialist; international and local municipal water designers; and supervision engineers.
Non-key experts are expected to include an office manager/ translator/ secretary.
It is expected that the Consultant will engage a sufficient number of local engineers to support the international consultants in engineering supervision under multiple construction/works contracts in the participating cities. Russian/Kyrgyz language skills are required to be included within the Consultant's team
Note: The Consultant should be registered with the relevant local authority and authorised to carry out design activities in the Kyrgyz Republic.
Submission Requirements: In order to determine the capability and experience of consultants to be shortlisted, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Company/group of firms’ profile, organisation and staffing (max. 2-4 pages).
2. Details of previous project experience or similar assignments particularly undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration), main activities, objectives.
3. CVs of key experts who could carry out the assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives.
4. Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
5. A copy of the Consultant's valid company registration certificate confirming that the firm is registered in Austria.
The expression of interest shall not exceed 25 pages (excluding expert CVs and Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet).
The complete expression of interest (including CVs, Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet) should be submitted, in English electronically through e-Selection, to reach the Bank not later than the closing date. The expression of interest should preferably be in one file and the permissible file size is 4MB.
EBRD Contact Person:
Tel: +44 207 338 6363
1. Following this invitation for expressions of interest, a shortlist of qualified firms will be formally invited to submit proposals. Consultant selection will be undertaken by the EBRD on behalf of the Company but the contract for the services will be signed between the Company and the Consultant. Selection and contracting will be subject to availability of funding.
2. The shortlist criteria are as follows.
(a) Firm’s previous project experience in project implementation support, engineering design services and contract supervision, including specific experience in the water and wastewater sector in similar climatic conditions – 35%;
(b) Firm’s IFI procurement experience (such as the EBRD, World Bank, ADB or equivalent) and previous experience in applying FIDIC and/or World Bank and/or EBRD Supply and Installation contractual arrangements – 20%;
(c) CV of Key Expert No 1 (Project Manager) – 20%;
(d) CV of Key Expert No 2 and the other key experts – 25%;