Kabeli-A Hydro Electric Project - P122406
Department of Electricity Development | Published May 4, 2016 - Deadline June 3, 2016
Cumulative Impact Assessment (cia) For The Tamor River Basin,
Environmental And Social Safeguards And Capacity Building Activities Including
GOVERNMENT OF NEPAL
MINISTRY OF ENERGY (MoEn)
DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRICITYDEVELOPMENT (DoED)
ANAMNAGAR, KATHMANDU, NEPAL
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST(EOI) FOR
(ConsultingServices ? Firms Selection)
(Date of firstpublication: May 4, 2016)
Name of Project: Kabeli-AHydroelectric Project
Grant No: IDA Grant No. H900-NP
Assignment Title: Cumulative Impact Assessment (CIA) for the Tamor River Basin, Environmental and Social Safeguards and Capacity BuildingActivities including Compliance Monitoring.
1. The Government of Nepal has received financing (grant) from the WorldBank towards the cost of the Kabeli-A Hydroelectric Project (KAHEP), and intends to apply a portion of this proceeds for thisconsultancy services.
2. The KAHEP project aims to add hydropower generation capacity in Nepalthrough public private partnership and also build up capacity for hydropower development in Nepal. The MoEn Component under thisproject will focus on: (a) supervising, monitoring and evaluation for the implementation of KAHEP to ensure compliance with theProject Development Agreement (PDA), Environment Management Plan (EMP) and Social Action Plan (SAP); (b) building technical,environmental and social safeguards capacity of Implementing Agency (IA) on integrated river basin management and cumulative impactmanagement for sustainable hydropower development, including development and adoption of guidelines for CIA and involuntaryresettlement and livelihood restoration; inter alia.
3. The objective of this assignment is to enhance the long-term capacity of DoED and MoEn toimplement the KAHEP project and also to improvethe management system for future hydropowerdevelopment.
4. The consulting services ("the Services") include the Scope asfollows:
i. Updatethe previous CIA of the KAHEP with an expanded scope from the Kabeli River to the Tamor River, considering proposed and ongoingwater resources projects including transmission line andaccess road(s) in the watershed of theriver.
ii. Building capacity of DoED/MoEn staff for coordination and management regardingCIA for water resources development in other river basins of Nepal.
iii. Review of the existing regulatory, planning and implementation framework forHydroelectric Power Projects with the objective of developing recommendations integrating CIA in planning, preparation andimplementation into the framework.
iv. Prepare Guidelines for both (i) Involuntary Resettlement for Hydroelectric Power Projects and(ii) Benefit Sharing for Hydroelectric PowerProjects, and provide technical support for related capacitybuilding.
v. Provide technical support to the DoED as it carries out its regulatoryrequirement for compliance supervision, monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of the PDA, EMP and SAP of theKAHEP.
5. DoEDinvites eligible consulting firms ("Consultants") to indicate their interest in providing the Services stated under Section 4above. Interested Consultants should provide information/documents indicating that they have the required qualifications andrelevant experience to perform the Services. Consulting firms must have been legally registered and in business for at least five (5) years prior to the last date of submission of EOI. Following documents shall be submittedalong with the EOI application by all the Consulting firms:
· Certificatesof incorporation or registration of the consulting firm.
· VATregistration certificate and tax clearance certificate for FY 2071/2072.
· The consulting firms shall provideinformation on jobs completed in the last fifteen (15) years giving a briefdescription of each job undertaken, the funding source(s), amount of contract and information on theemployer. Consulting firms' work experiences shall be evidenced by copies of client'sreferences with contact addresses on the letterhead of the client's organization and shall be written in English. If the referencesare in other languages, it shall be accompaniedby an accurate translation into the English language by competent authority.Any workexperience without client's/employer's reference shall not be considered.
· The EOIapplicants shall also meet any three (3) of the following seven (7) minimum technical criteria (experience gained in last 15 yearson the following assignments with contract value more than $ 100,000 or equivalent)
i. At least two (2) assignments completed on EIA, SESA, CIA
ii. At leastone (1) assignment on CIA completed on hydropowerprojects
iii. At least one (1)assignment completed on the preparation of resettlement guidelines
iv. At least one (1) project completed on the preparation ofbenefit sharing guidelines
v. At least one (1) project,with more than 25 MW generation capacity, completed on EIA and/or SESA studies of hydropower projects and/or hydropowerdevelopment masterplans
vi. At least one (1) projectcompleted on Environmental Audits of hydropowerprojects with more than 25 MWgeneration capacity
vii. At least 2 projects completed oncompliance monitoring and/or construction supervision of hydropower projects with more than 25MW generation capacity
Short-listing Criteria are (a.Management competency of consulting firms-core business area of the firm, number of key professional staff in-house and qualityassurance plan of the firm; b. Specificexperience of consulting firm-experience in EIA, SESA, CIA general aswell as hydropowerspecific, environmental audits of hydropower projects, preparation of resettlement guidelines and benefit sharing guidelines andcompliance monitoring and supervision of the hydropower projects; and c.Geographical experience of consulting firms.)
6. Short listing and selection of the Consultantwill be carried out inaccordance with the World Bank's Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grantsby World Bank Borrowers - January 2011, revised July 2014 ("Consultant Guidelines"). A Consultant will be selected in accordancewith the QCBS method set out in the Consultant Guidelines. A brief description of the assignment can be found in the brief Terms of References (ToRs) which canbe downloaded from the DoED website www.doed.gov.np..
7. The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of theConsultant Guidelines setting forth the World Bank's policy on conflict of interest. ..
8. Consultants may associate with other firms in theform of a joint venture or a sub-consultancy to enhance their qualifications. Experience and Qualification of other firms,whether parent or subsidiary firm, will not be considered for evaluation. Likewise, qualification and experience of the consultingfirm associated as a sub-consultancy will not be considered for evaluation forshortlisting.
a. Each partner in the JV firm shall individually comply with thecriteria mentioned paragraph 5.
b. Each partner of the JV firm shall meet at least one of the technical criteria mentioned inparagraph 5.
c. The combined experience of the JV partners shall meet at least 3criteria in paragraph 5.
d. All JV firms shall submit a copy of JV agreement or memorandum of understanding (MOU) for the JVor intended JV agreement along with their EOI application.
e. An applicant shall not submit more than one (1) EOI applicationeither as a single entity or as a partner in JV firm.
9. All submittals from theconsulting firms shall be in English language.
10. Further information can be obtained at theaddress below.
Department of Electricity Development
Post Box No. 2507
576 BhaktiThapaSadak (4), Anamnagar
Phone: (977-1-) 4480326, 4479507, 4480425,9841366749
Fax: (977-1-) 4480257
Email: email@example.com, Website: www.doed.gov.np
11. Expressions of interest shall be deliveredina written form (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or bye-mail)to the address above on or before 12 hrs Nepal Standard Time on June 3, 2016. The title ofthe submission shall be"Cumulative Impact Assessment (CIA) for the Tamor River Basin, Environmental and Social Safeguards andCapacity Building Activities including Compliance Monitoring for DoED. DoED reserves the right to accept or rejectany or all applications, or to cancel the entire proceedings without giving anyreasonswhatsoever.