Jaffna and Kilinochchi Water Supply and Sanitation Project
| Published April 11, 2017 - Deadline May 23, 2017
Invitation for Bids
1. The Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka has received a loan from the Asian
Development Bank (ADB) toward the cost of the Jaffna and Kilinochchi Water Supply and
Sanitation Project and intends to apply part of the loan funds to cover eligible payments under
the above-mentioned Contract.
2. The Chairman, Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee, on behalf of
the National Water Supply and Drainage Board, now invites sealed bids from eligible bidders
for above contract which includes following works:
• Supply and laying a total length of 235 km of uPVC and DI pipes in 11 Water Supply
• Supply and laying 5.5km of PE pipes for the Jaffna Municipal Council (JMC) pumping
• Construction of an OIC Office building (Approx. 240 sq.m) at Velanai,Kaddudai and
• Construction of Caretaker Quarters building (Approx. 60 sq.m) at Pooneri and
3. International Competitive Bidding will be conducted in accordance with ADB’s Single-
Stage: Two-Envelope procedure and is open to all bidders from eligible countries as described
in the bidding document.
4. Only eligible bidders with the following key qualifications should participate in this
• The bidder shall have minimum average annual construction turnover of USD 18 million
or equivalent, calculated as total certified payments received for contracts in progress or
completed, within last Three (03) years.
Date: 11 April 2017
2710/2711-SRI: Jaffna and Kilinochchi Water Supply and Sanitation Project
Supplying and Laying of Water Distribution Networks in Palai, Kodikamam,
Meesalai, Poonakary, Puttur, Nawatkuli, Karainagar, Pungudutivu,
Vaddukkodai, Kattudai, Nallur Zones, JMC Transmission Pipeline &
Construction of Office/stores, Quarters at Velanai, Kaddudai, Navatkuli,
Pokkanai, Poonery and Karaveddy
23 May 2017, 10.00 hrs. (local time)
• Participation in at least two (02) contract, within the last eight (08) years, that have been
successfully or substantially completed and that are similar to the proposed works,
where the value of Bidder’s participation exceeds USD 14 Million or equivalent. The
similarity of the Bidder’s participation shall be based on the physical size nature of works,
complexity of methods, technology or other characteristics described in Section 6,
• The Bidder must demonstrate access to, or availability of, liquid assets, lines of credit or
other financial resources, (other than any contractual advance payments) to meet the
Bidder’s financial resources requirement of this contract assessed as USD 6.0.M or
equivalent, excluding other financial requirements.
• Supply and laying of 150 km uPVC pipe with diameter 90mm to 225mm within 5 years in
at least one contract
• Supply and laying of 10 km PE Pipe with diameter 110mm to 280mm within 5 years in at
least one contract
• Construction of storeyed building of total floor area not less than 100 sq.m within 5 years
in at least one contract
• Installing at least 5000 Household connections within 5 years in one (1) contract
5. Interested bidders may inspect the Bidding Document free of charge and obtain further
information at the office of the Assistant General Manager, (Tenders and Contracts), National
Water Supply & Drainage Board (NWSDB), Galle Road, Ratmalana, telephone 011-2635885 or
011-2638999 Ext. 1750 or facsimile number 011-2635885 (E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
6. A complete set of Bidding Documents in English language may be purchased by
interested bidders upon submission of a written application on a business Letterhead and upon
payment of a non-refundable fee of LKR 75,000.00 plus VAT in cash (or US$ 500 including VAT)
to the Assistant General Manager (Tenders and Contracts), NWSDB, Galle Road, Ratmalana,
from 11 April 2017 until 22 May 2017 during 09:00 hours to 15:00 hours on normal working days.
Payment could also be made on Swift Transfer to the following account:
Swift Code – BCEYLKLX IBAN – 7010-051-1994324
Bank of Ceylon, Dehiwala Branch, Sri Lanka
7. The NWSDB will promptly dispatch the documents by registered airmail or by courier
service on request, with an additional payment of US$ 175.00. No liability will be accepted for
loss or late delivery of the Bidding Document.
8. A site visit will be conducted on 18 April 2017 commencing at 09.00hrs from 124, 1st
Cross Street, Jaffna. A Pre-Bid meeting would be held on 24 April 2017 commencing at 09.30
hrs at NWSDB, Galle Road, Ratmalana, Colombo.
9. Bids shall be delivered to the Office of the Director (Procurement), Ministry of City
Planning and Water Supply, “Lakdiya Medura”, No 35, Sunil Mawatha, Pelawatta, Battaramulla,
Sri Lanka on or before 10.00 hrs. on 23 May 2017 together with a Bid Security in the amount
as specified in the Bidding Document (Data Sheet). Bids will be opened immediately after the
bid submission deadline, in the presence of the bidders’ representatives who choose to attend.
10. The Ministry of City Planning and Water Supply, and the National Water Supply &
Drainage Board, will not be responsible for any costs or expenses incurred by bidders in
connection with the preparation, attending pre-bid meeting and delivery of bids.