Page 1 of 5
ADVANCE CONTRACT AWARD NOTICE (ACAN)
Technical editing and formatting of the Canada-Nunavut Geoscience Office Summary of Activities volume
An Advance Contract Award Notice (ACAN) allows departments and agencies to post a notice, for no less than fifteen (15) calendar days, indicating to the supplier community that it intends to award a good, service or construction contract to a pre-identified contractor. If no other supplier submits, on or before the closing date, a Statement of Capabilities that meets the requirements set out in the ACAN, the competitive requirements of the government's contracting policy have been met. Following notification to suppliers not successful in demonstrating that their Statement of Capabilities meets the requirements set out in the ACAN, the contract may then be awarded using the Treasury Board's electronic bidding authorities.
If other potential suppliers submit Statement of Capabilities during the fifteen calendar day posting period, and meet the requirements set out in the ACAN, the department or agency must proceed to a full tendering process on either the government's electronic tendering service or through traditional means, in order to award the contract.
The Canada-Nunavut Geosciences Office (CNGO) Summary of Activities (SoA) is a peer reviewed scientific publication that disseminates field observations, project syntheses and new geoscience discoveries and research in an expedient manner. As the only annual geoscience volume of its kind pertaining to Nunavut, it provides valuable and current CGNO supported geoscientific information to industry, scientists and local decision makers.
The publication of such a volume requires the specialized services of a contractor who is experienced in all aspects of geoscience publishing including technical geoscientific, editing and formatting papers based on specific SoA design and layout standards.
Edit and produce the Canada-Nunavut Geoscience Office Summary of Activities scientific volume on an annual basis for the length of the contract, provide French technical translation and editing of the SoA components and generate a style guide specific to the CNGO.
5. Project Requirements
5.1 Tasks, Deliverables, Milestones and Schedule
• Provide technical editing and formatting of geoscientific papers to the contractor for the SoA volume on an annual basis for the duration of the contract;
• Provide English to French translation and French technical edits of each paper’s abstract and forward text in the SoA;
• Develop a Style Guide specific to the CNGO’s SoA based on information and decisions made with the CNGO during the length of the contract.
• Approximately December 20th of each contract year (actual date to be established in early September of each year), two sets of PDFs of the completed SoA are to be delivered to the project authority; one suitable for four-colour printing and the other optimized for web distribution.
Page 2 of 5
5.2 Specifications and Standards
• Conformation to The Art and Science of Writing Geoscience Reports by B. Grant. For issues not addressed therein, conformation to the CNGO Style Guide, 1st Edition
• Clarity of scientific communication for a wide audience, appropriate for a senior undergraduate geoscience student
• Consistency of presentation and discussion of geoscientific information in text, tables and illustrations
• Adherence of geographic names to the Canadian Geographical Names Data Base and, for names not addressed therein, such as for traditional Inuktitut place names
• Proper grammar, spelling, and use of geologic terms
• Clarity, legibility and reproducibility of geologic illustrations
• Completeness and consistency of text, tables, illustrations and references (including ensuring that each reference cited is in the reference list and vice versa)
• Consistency of heading levels
• Consistency in handling special text attributes, such as bolding and italics
• Elimination of any extraneous formatting that could create problems for desktop publishing and the addition of consistent heading tags
5.3 Technical, Operational and Organizational Environment
This work is expected to be completed at the Contractor’s place of business.
The Contractor will:
• use Windows OS computers with licensed versions of MS Word 2010; MS Excel 2010; Adobe Acrobat 10; CorelDraw X6; and image-editing software
• have print, fax and scan to PDF capabilities
• have an FTP site for the secure transfer of files using password-protected authority controls
5.4 Contractor’s Responsibilities
In addition to the obligations outlined above, the Contractor shall:
• Ensure ongoing communication via email and telephone with the CNGO coordinator as required
• Ensure only the actual time worked on the project is billed
6. Trade Agreements
Applicable Limited Tendering Provision under NAFTA (Article 1016.2)
1016.2(b) - where, for works of art, or for reasons connected with the protection of patents, copyrights or other exclusive rights, or proprietary information or where there is an absence of competition for technical reasons, the goods or services can be supplied only by a particular supplier and no reasonable alternative or substitute exists;
1016.2(d) - for additional deliveries by the original supplier that are intended either as replacement parts or continuing services for existing supplies, services or installations, or as the extension of existing supplies, services or installations, where a change of supplier would compel the entity to procure equipment or services not meeting requirements of interchangeability with already existing equipment or services, including software to the extent that the initial procurement of the software was covered by this Chapter;
Page 3 of 5
Applicable Limited Tendering Provision under Canada-Chile (Article Kbis-09)
Kbis-09 (b) - where, for works of art, or for reasons connected with the protection of patents, copyrights or other exclusive rights, or proprietary information or where there is an absence of competition for technical reasons, the goods or services can be supplied only by a particular supplier and no reasonable alternative or substitute exists;
Kbis-09 (c) - for additional deliveries by the original supplier that are intended either as replacement parts, extensions, or continuing services for existing equipment, software, services or installations, where a change of supplier would compel the entity to procure goods or services not meeting requirements of interchangeability with existing equipment, software, services, or installations;
Applicable Limited Tendering Provision under Canada-Colombia (Article 1409)
1409 (b) where the goods or services can be supplied only by a particular supplier and no reasonable alternative or substitute goods or services exist for any of the following reasons:
(i) the requirement is for a work of art,
(ii) the protection of patents, copyrights or other exclusive rights, or
(iii) due to an absence of competition for technical reasons;
Applicable Limited Tendering Provision under Canada-Honduras (Article 17.11)
2 (b) a good or service being procured can be supplied only by a particular supplier and a reasonable alternative or substitute does not exist because:
(i) the good or service is a work of art,
(ii) the good or service is protected by a patent, copyright or other exclusive intellectual property right, or
(iii) there is an absence of competition for technical reasons;
Applicable Limited Tendering Provision under Canada-Panama (Article 16.10)
16.10 (b) the procurement can be carried out only by a particular supplier and a reasonable alternative or substitute does not exist because:
(i) the requirement is for a work of art,
(ii) a good or service being procured is protected by a patent, copyright or another exclusive right, or
(iii) of the absence of competition for technical reasons;
Applicable Limited Tendering Provision under Canada-Korea WTO-AGP (Article XV.1)
XV.1(a) – protection of exclusive rights, such as patents or copyrights, or in the absence of competition for technical reasons, the products or services can be supplied only by a particular supplier and no reasonable alternative or substitute exists
Applicable Limited Tendering Provision under AIT (Article 506.12)
506.12(b) - where there is an absence of competition for technical reasons and the goods or services can be supplied only by a particular supplier and no alternative or substitute exists; (CAP code 71)
7. Title to Intellectual property
Natural Resources Canada has determined that any intellectual property rights arising from the performance of the Work under the resulting contract will belong to Canada, on the following grounds:
Page 4 of 5
• where the material developed or produced consists of material subject to copyright, with the exception of computer software and all documentation pertaining to that software.
8. Contract Period
The contract period shall be from date of award of contract to March 31, 2019.
9. Estimated Cost
The estimated maximum value of the contract is between $130,000.00 to $135,000.00 CAD, including all applicable taxes.
10. Exception to the Government Contracts Regulations and applicable trade agreements
Sole Source Justification - Exception of the Government Contract Regulations (GCR):
(d) Only one person or firm is capable of performing the contract
The contractor must:
1) Possess at least 10 years in geoscience publishing;
2) Produced and edited publications similar to the Summary of Activities. This includes scientific/technical editing specific to geosciences in both English and French, strategic planning, standards development, project management, software training, desktop publishing and paper document capture;
3) Publish reports audiences that include Geological Survey of Canada; and
4) Possesses standards, dictionaries, and desktop publishing templates specific to the CNGO Summary of Activities.
5) Possess an FTP site for the secure transfer of files using password-protected authority controls.
6) Each editor involved in the project process should have a minimum of a B.Sc in geoscience and five (5) years of proven geoscience editing experience.
RND tech is the only provider that can meet all of the criteria above as well as the project requirements in paragraph 5.1 to 5.4.
11. Name and Address of the Proposed Contractor
134 Reiber Court
12. Inquiries on Submission of Statement of Capabilities
Suppliers who consider themselves fully qualified and available to provide the services/goods described herein, may submit a Statement of Capabilities in writing, preferably by e-mail, to the contact person identified in this Notice on or before the closing date and time of this Notice. The Statement of Capabilities must clearly demonstrate how the supplier meets the advertised requirements.
13. Closing Date
Closing Date: 19 September 2016
Closing Time: 1:00 p.m. EDT
Page 5 of 5
14. Contract Authority
Natural Resources Canada
183 Longwood Road South
Telephone: (905) 645-0676
Fax: (905) 645-0831
E-mail : email@example.com