Provision of Residential Accommodation for the Language Academy
Customer Name | Published December 18, 2015 - Deadline December 18, 2015
The Language Academy at the University of Central Lancashire organises a range of courses for international students, language teachers and professional clients. The majority of the Language Academy's students are undergraduates from UCLan’s partner institutions in China, S. Korea and Japan, we also have students from other parts of the world and our clientele is expanding year on year. In addition to university students, we also run courses for language teachers and other professional people such as business people.
In most cases, the Language Academy offers international students and other clients a package consisting of tuition, accommodation and leisure activities. We therefore need a reliable, local provider of high-quality accommodation to meet the sometimes quite exacting requirements of our students and clients. Students will usually stay in the accommodation for periods of between one and eight weeks, though we do sometimes have courses lasting several months.
The majority of Language Academy courses take place during UCLan’s summer vacation, between late June and the end of August, in addition we have smaller numbers of students requiring accommodation year-round. The highest volume of accommodation required at any one time is likely to be around 160 single rooms in the mid-summer period. We are usually able to provide outline accommodation requirements about three months in advance and fairly firm numbers at least a month before the accommodation is required but the nature of our business means that we are not always able to provide completely accurate figures until closer to course dates.
We are also looking to source the same type of accommodation, though on a smaller scale, between late January and March, when we run a Winter school for students from S.E. Asia. Highest volume at this time is likely to be 50-60 single rooms.
Since accommodation plays such a significant role in an international student’s experience here in Preston, we are looking for a provider who has experience of working with international students, is sympathetic to aspects of cultural difference and can provide a welcoming, secure and comfortable environment.
The Language Academy at UCLan is seeking an accommodation partner who can meet the following requirements:
• Be located within easy walking distance of the UCLan Preston city campus and Preston city centre.
• Provide modern, clean, furnished, single occupancy, ensuite, self-catering accommodation for international students and professional people attending Language Academy courses at UCLan.
• Have a Reception area, staffed at certain times of day, to deal with enquiries and problems.
• Bedroom furniture to include bed, wardrobe, desk, chair and bedside cabinet.
• Bathroom fittings to include toilet, shower and washbasin.
• Rent to include the provision of bedding and towels, which are changed weekly.
• Provide communal kitchen facilities, shared with a maximum of 8 other people.
• Kitchen equipment to include microwave, oven, fridge freezer, basic cooking and eating utensils and crockery.
• Rent to include all utility bills and cost of high speed broadband access in the bedrooms.
• Ensure a safe and secure environment for students with 24/7 security presence and CCTV.
• Provide a communal leisure area with TV.
• Self-service laundry facilities.
• Ensure rapid response to any maintenance problems.
• Provide wheelchair access if required.
This is an Open EU procurement procedure, the ITT and full specification and supporting documents can be downloaded by registering and expressing your interest on the University's e-tendering system https://intendhost.co.uk/universitycentrallancs/aspx/Home
If you have any questions or comments in relation to this tender they must be submitted via the In-tend portal. Completed tenders must be returned through the same e-tendering system. The closing date for return of the tender is 18th December 2015 at 10am (UK time). Firms are invited to study the requirement outlined in the tender documentation and provide their best bid to meet the needs identified.