The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the “Bank”) has launched the development of the Green Cities Initiative as a response to address multiple urban issues in a more systematic way in the Bank’s countries of operation (“EBRD COOs”). As a core part of this Initiative, the Bank worked with the the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development and the International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives to prepare a methodology (the plan-in-tirana.pdf">Methodology) for the development of Green City Action Plans (“GCAP”). The Methodology is designed to guide a City through 5 main steps of the development and implementation of a GCAP – from establishing a Green City Baseline, developing a vision, preparing the GCAP, implementing the actions and reviewing progress.
Assignment Description: The EBRD intends to engage a consultancy firm (the “Consultant”) to assist the City of Tirana to develop a Green City Action Plan that will comprehensively assess the priorities for the City’s sustainable development in the short- and medium- term, encompassing all sectors under the EBRD’s Green Economy Transition approach, while proposing concrete actions, plans and roadmap that will lead to effectively achieving measurable results. The main objective of the TC project is to assist the City of Tirana in developing and approving a Green City Action Plan.
The selected Consultant is expected to provide the following services:
- Assist the City in becoming familiar with the Methodology and to establish the necessary leadership team for applying the Methodology;
- Support the City in identification of the key stakeholders for the assignment, including main contact points of each entity, responsible for contributing to the development of GCAP;
- Support the City in their stakeholder engagement;
- Assist the City in understanding the external conditions that need to be considered in the development of the GCAP;
- Gather data and calculate selected indicators and prepare an indicators database;
- Map the existing policy framework that will have an impact on the development of the GCAP;
- Prepare a technical analysis of indicators against established benchmarks and submit it as a technical report;
- Assist the City in conducting broad stakeholder consultations (including both bilateral meetings and consultation group meetings, depending on the need) to complement the indicators analysis;
- Assist the City in selecting the priority issues for action;
- Assist the City in setting strategic objectives for the priority areas;
- Support the City in determining the key programmes that will address the priority areas;
- Assist the City in identifying the most appropriate responsible entities for each action/programme/measure;
- Assist the City in reviewing existing policies and selecting new policy measures;
- Work with the City to prepare an indicative investment plan;
- Prepare a draft Green City Action Plan and presentation;
- Prepare a draft monitoring plan for the City; and
- Prepare a final report summarising lessons from the process.
Consultants should refer to the Terms of Reference ('ToR') for a more detailed description of service requirements. It should be noted that the ToR is subject to change before contracting or commencement of the services in line with the needs of the underlying project.
Status of Selection Process: Interested firms or groups of firms are hereby invited to submit proposals in line with sections A and B of the Submission Requirements of this procurement notice.
Assignment Start Date and Duration: The Assignment is expected to start in Q4 2016 and have an estimated overall duration of 15 months. It is important that the Consultant can start work as soon as possible after the appointment.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment: EUR 295,000 (exclusive of VAT), subject to availability of funding.
The Consultant must determine whether any VAT would be chargeable on the services and the basis for that determination, without taking into consideration the special status of the Bank as an IFI and state this to the Bank in their response to the Request for Proposal To the extent that a Consultant incurs input VAT on goods and services purchased in connection with the provision of services (e.g. VAT on airline ticket) which is not otherwise recoverable by the Consultant from the local tax authority, the gross cost to the Consultant of such expenses shall be treated as a reimbursable expense.
Funding Source: Delivering Resource Efficiency Investments in the Western Balkans and Turkey (DRIVE) Programme
Eligibility: There are no eligibility restrictions.
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required. The Consultant will be a firm or a group of firms with previous project experience in:
a) management of similar assignments;
b) measurement of environmental performance and improvements and development of sustainability plans for cities; urban planning, climate change and environmental policies and regulations; applied cost-benefit analysis and/or related multi-criteria analysis; private and public financing on related green-/ and brownfield projects; incorporation of environmental, economic, social and gender aspects in the development of green/sustainable city agendas;
c) working with municipalities in EBRD countries of operations (preferably in Albania) in connection with urban sustainability and both national and local municipal regulations.
The Consultant’s experts team is expected to include:
- Key Expert(s) No. 1: Technical Expert(s) with preferably 10 years of previous professional experience in energy and resource efficiency (covering energy, transport, roads, industries, buildings, district-heating, lighting, municipal services, solid waste, water & wastewater and land-use sectors), climate mitigation (incl. GHG emissions accounting), climate adaptation (risks analysis), environmental sustainability (incl. biodiversity), climate and urban technologies, and monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV).
- Key Expert(s) No. 2: Policy Expert(s) with preferably 10 years of previous professional experience, with expertise in policy advisory to national and local government bodies/agencies and business and civil communities, including on the subjects of low-carbon growth, urban planning and municipal infrastructure & services, energy & resource efficiency policy, climate mitigation and adaptation, governance & institutional capacity building, environmental and social policy, technology & innovation, stakeholder and civil engagements, business and government policy, MRV policy and best practices and regulatory reforms.
- Key Expert(s) No. 3: Economics & Financial Expert(s), with preferably 10 years of previous professional experience, with expertise in financial analysis and modelling/forecasting, (public) budgeting, (international) project financing, municipal infrastructure and transport investments, economic growth & employment analysis, carbon finance and behavioural economics.
- Key Expert(s) No. 4: Legal Expert(s) with preferably 10 years of previous professional experience, with expertise in municipal laws and regulations (incl. on urban development, energy, waste, water etc), energy and environmental laws and regulations, public procurements, related EU Directives and regulations, social welfare and MRV regulations.
- Key Experts(s) No.5: Environmental & Social Expert(s) with preferably 10 years of previous professional experience in air pollution, biodiversity, urban green space & land-use, public health, urban and social services, gender, civil engagement, behaviour and awareness raising and social resilience.
- Key Expert(s) No.5: Local Expert(s) with preferably more than 5 years of previous professional experience, with expertise in policy advisory to municipalities on subjects of green cities/sustainable development/city resilience, excellent knowledge of the municipal laws/regulations in relation to the national laws/regulations, strong technical and financial understanding, project finance, stakeholders engagement, capacity training & awareness raising, and excellent communications and presentation skills both in English and Albanian.
Submission Requirements: In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants seeking to be selected for this Assignment, the Expression of Interest should include the following:
A. Technical Part:
A1. Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
A2. Company/group of firms’ profile, organisation and staffing (max. 2-4 pages).
A3. Details of previous project experience in similar technical assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration), main activities, objectives (max. 10 pages).
A4. CVs of Key Experts who could carry out the Assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives.
A5. Technical approach explaining the understanding of the objectives of the assignment as outlined in the ToR, activity/staffing/outputs schedule (see Annex 2 to the TOR), expert input (see Annex 3 to the TOR), the methodology for implementing the tasks to deliver the expected output(s)(max. 10 pages).
B. Financial Part:
Proposed budget and breakdown of costs in the format specified in Annexes 4-5 to the ToR within the limits of the cost estimate provided in this procurement notice.
The complete Expressions of Interest, including technical and financial parts (see Submission Requirements (A) and (B) above), shall be submitted, in English, electronically through e-Selection, to reach the Bank not later than the Closing Date. The Expression of Interest shall be one file (pdf). The EBRD reserves the right to reject applications of firms submitting more than one file. Only if the permissible file size is exceeded (4MB), the Consultant may split the expression of interest into further files.
Bank Contact Person:
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square
London EC2A 2JN
Tel: + 44 20 7338 6895
(submissions should be sent through eSelection and NOT to this email address)
1. The selection will normally be made from responses to this notification only. Consultants will not be asked to submit any additional proposals. The highest-ranked Consultant will be selected from a shortlist and be invited to negotiate the contract, subject to availability of funding.
2. The shortlist criteria are as follows:
a. Firm’s previous project experience as set out in the Consultant Profile sections (a) and (b) - 20%;
b. Firm’s previous project experience as set out in the Consultant Profile section (c) - 10%;
c. Qualifications of the Key Experts (CV) - 40%;
d. Firm’s technical approach, methodology, activity/staffing/outputs schedule and expert input - 20%;
e. Value for money (based on the firm’s proposed budget) - 10%.